A beauty therapist performing coolsculpt? Not a nurse or physician? (photos)

Hi there, I really want to get coolsculpting done for my stomach and waist. I can only find 2 clinics in Wellington, nz, who do this. One charge 3 sessions for $800 The other are $450 per session. The cheap place has a beauty therapist performing the procedure however. Where as the expensive place has a nurse. Would it be bad to have a beauty therapist doing this? How badly can this be messed up? Are there any things I should look out for? Any general advice? Thanks heaps

Your cheapest option is not always the best option.

Thanks for your question. As with anything else, you want to be careful when choosing your cosmetic procedures based off of cost. As tempting as it may be to go with the cheaper price, you really do get what you pay for when it comes to these procedures. Anyone operating the CoolSculpting® machine needs to be properly trained and certified to do so. If you’re not offereda consultation before your treatment to determine whether you’re a good candidate for the procedure and to discuss its details, I wouldn’t trust the facility with your health and safety. It’s best to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon when looking for any surgical or nonsurgical procedure. Good luck!

CoolScuplting can be Provider Dependant

CoolSculpting is a wonderful noninvasive technology for the permanent destruction of fat cells in the body. Getting the best results can be provider specific, in my experience, it has less to do with the providers academic background ie Doctor vs Nurse vs Aesthetician or Medical Assistant but rather to do with how well the individual has been trained on this technology. The gold standard in training is a course put on by Zeltiq the company that manufactures CoolSculpting in California call CoolSculpting University. You can check on the CoolSculpting website to get a feel for how much CoolSculpting a practice is delivering by looking at their physician locator. As a practice does more and more CoolSculpting their providers will have more and more practice and be better prepared to help deliver great results.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Coolsculpting done by beauty therapist or nurse

The price differential is significant and I would choose the nurse over the beauty therapist any day but if I was pinched for cash and the beauty therapist was trained at Coolsculpting University, and is an approved site by Zeltiq then after an interview an thorough investigation I would make a choice. The procedure is not so simple that "anyone can do it properly". I would be concerned because my understanding is that a physician must oversee all results in the USA but  I am not aware of the laws in New Zealand. There are potential complications and you will need to have someone who can help you. The safest would be to choose the nurse.

Sharon J. Littzi, MD
New Canaan Dermatologic Surgeon

Who does CoolSculpting treatments?

You will be hard pressed to find a doctor who actually does CoolSculpting. He/she may be called in to consult on correct placement and assess potential number of treatments needed but offices have technicians who have been trained to do the actual treatments.    The real key to successful treatments is to find an office that does a lot of CoolSculpting and individuals in the office who have attended CoolScultping University and who are actively involved with all treatments.  Practice makes perfect!

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

A beauty therapist performing coolsculpt? Not a nurse or physician?

Thank you for your question. It is important that you do your research. Skill is extremely important. Ensure that the clinic you decide to go with has been trained by Zeltiq and has the appropriate equipment. Also, consider how long the technicians have been performing the treatment for. Reading reviews of the clinic also wouldn't be a bad idea. All the best. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

CoolSculpting in a spa or by a nurse?

Dear zingitywanda (love your moniker!):

For the best results, you'll want to go to an office where the procedure is supervised by a physician. The  dermatologist or plastic surgeon will evaluate you prior to undergoing the procedure, to rule out underlying conditions, as well as advise the assistant who will be performing the procedure as to the best placement of the applicators and the best applicators to use. CoolSculpting has advanced to the point where it is now truly sculpting the body, and the placement and size of the applicators are critical factors to an optimal result.

Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Coolsculpting and Price and Physician

I would be very wary of an office that offers three sessions at this price since the "card" that is needed to run these three sessions costs more, not to mention the machine itself.  Are you sure it is Coolsculpting? Is the office certified by Zeltiq? How many years have they been doing it? We have been doing Coolsculpting since its inception and it is very important to find out their experience.  Best, Dr. Green