5 weeks post op. Does this separation and asymmetry have any chance of fixing up without further operation? (Photo)

5 weeks post op. Does this separation and asymmetry have any chance of fixing up without further operation? Sorry about slight period evidence.

Post-Op Labiaplasty Healing

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks, so you could definitely give it a little more time to resolve. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months and firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. Best of luck to you!

POST LABIAPLASTY MISALIGNMENT

Asymmetry is not the only issue you have.  There is still a lot of excess that should be dealt with.  Moreover, the labia major needs a little more fullness in order to provide good coverage for the remainder of the labia minor.

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Not separation, just below exceptional alignment

There are actually THREE folds of tissue at the top of the wedge... Lining up the correct fold to the lower labia in a wedge labiaplasty is a little bit of a challenge at first. I don't think there is any separation, nor do I think there is any cause for concern in your appearance. BUT it wasn't lined up quite perfectly. You could have a revision to correct this, but you may not want/need it. Up to you. But I think your result is OK and much better than MOST ladies who had amputations by their GYNs.

5 weeks post op

Thanks for the question. Based upon your photos most likely you will need a revision surgery.  This will not straighten out on its own.

John R Miklos MD
Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai 

Can you tell at 5 weeks post-op if I will need a revision ?

Dear Micklawn,

Thank you for sharing your photos and concerns.  Swelling can last up to three months especially around the hood area and the slight separation should close so be patient as you are not yet fully healed.  If in 3-6 months after surgery you are still unhappy with the appearance, get evaluated for a revision.  It may heal just fine and nothing more may need to be done.  Have you had a discussion with your surgeon about what s/he would do if you weren't happy in 6 months?  That would be good for you in your mind to have a plan, so follow up with him/her.

I hope this information is helpful and speedy recovery!

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG
Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Expect Continued improvement

I anticipate a lot of the swelling on the left side will continue to improve over the next few months. There is probably a bit of a suture knot in that area that is causing some continued swelling, and as the body reabsorbs the suture the left side will become less puffy.  It looks good otherwise though! And I think will continue to get better!

You're still too swollen to see the final result

Clearly there is asymmetry in the amount of swelling, but the final appearance will only be apparent when the swelling goes down. Be patient.

Swelling and asymmetry

The swelling and induration after surgery tend to last for a while.  It appears that the left side healed slower than the right side, which resulted in lumpiness and swelling.  I think 5 weeks is too short to determine.  You should give yourself 6 months to reassess the result.  Most likely the left side will get softer and thinner, and they will start looking similar.  

Alex Kim, MD

Alex Kim, MD

Fix

It is still a little early to determine this. Wait at least 3 to 6 months and reevaluate it. It could still be swollen and healing.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

5 weeks post op. Does this separation and asymmetry have any chance of fixing up without further operation?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I can see your area of concern. Without a full series of before surgery pictures it is difficult to see what your surgeon sewed together on your right labia as a result of the wedge resection but there does appear to be some malaligned tissues.  This will likely require a revision procedure to correct.