Which vitamins and natural supplements can be used to help treat and prevent melasma?

Please can you tell me which natural remedies can help reduce melasma. I understand some vitamin supplements can help but it would be useful to know which would be best. Thank you.

Natural vitamins and melasma.

Derivatives of vitamin A, and C can help, but these need to be infused into your skin via micro needling or a laser like clear and brilliant. Vitamin C is an anti-oxidant. Other natural methods include lactic acid, and fruit acid peels. Natural methods can reduce melasma, however conventional treatment outlined below has a higher success rate in treating this chronic condition. 

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help.

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Melasma Best Treated By In-Office Peels & At-Home Prescription Topicals

Melasma is a chronic problem, meaning that it is characterized by periods of remissions and relapses. Would that we we could actually treat or prevent melasma with only natural remedies. The best natural approaches would be diligent sun protection, via the use of wide-brimmed hats and sunblocking products that containing zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. The use of Heliocare, a prescription pill derivative of a fern, may also be helpful in supplementing protection from ultraviolet-induced worsening or promotion of melasma. The elimination of birth control pills, if possible, when this is felt to be contributing to the problem, is still another natural approach. Apart from these, there is no hard proof that the regular use of baby aspirin or omega-3 fatty acids or other antioxidants and antiinflammatory agents are truly efffective in this regards.  On the other hand, over the decades, I have found that the regular at-home use of prescription strength bleaching agents, such hydroquinone or kojic acid, or arbutin coupled with in office superficial peels using high strength glycolic acid, Jessner's solution or varying strengths of TCA to be quite helpful in lightening melasma.Rather than experimenting on your won, which may prove frustrating and costly, you would be well-advised to seek consultation with a board certified aesthetic dermatologist with expertise and experience in treating melasma. And be sure to ask to see his/her before and after photos. Best of luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD