Young patient wants to add balance to a round face. Could injectables liek Juvederm Voluma balance my proportions? (Photo)

I'm 24 years old and looking to have a slimmer, heart-shaped face. My weight is healthy but I can't seem to lose "baby fat" in my lower cheeks, and at certain angles my cheekbones appear flat. Could injectables like Juvederm Voluma balance the proportions of my face? I'd also like to add definition to my jawline since the skin below is slightly loose on profile (genetic). Would ultherapy help with this problem? Any non-invasive treatment reccommdations are appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Dermal Fillers Can Reshape Face

Juvederm Voluma would be an excellent choice for adding definition to your upper cheek area, balancing out your lower cheeks. Usually, Voluma creates a slight “lift” in younger patients, which may resolve your issue with your jawline. Radiesse and Restylane Lyft are other good lifters which may give a more sculpted look to the face. Under the neck, you most likely have a little extra fat. Two non-invasive options include Kybella injections or CoolSculpt Mini treatments are for eliminating double chins. A consultation with a board-certified dermatologist will give you a better sense of what procedures are appropriate for you and the type of results you can expect.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Younger patient wants to add balance to a round face. Could injectables like Juvederm Voluma balance my proportions?

Yes, from your photos, I believe you would benefit from an injectable such as Voluma.  One to two CCs of Voluma will help enhance and define your cheek bones and could also be utilized along the jawline.  Of the two - Voluma vs ultherapy - I think the Voluma will give you the most notable result.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Young patient wants to add balance to a round face. Could injectables liek Juvederm Voluma balance my proportions?

You should do very well with Volume volume enhancement in your upper lateral cheeks (zygomatic regions). I would inject 1 syringe into each side and see how you like the results. Good luck!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Adding Voluma for Balance

In the photos your cheeks look good.  Given that certain angles look flat, you could benefit from a little Voluma strategically placed to enhance your cheekbones.  This will also help to lift your lower face and sharpen your jawline.  If more of a heart-shape is desired, the injector can add a little filler to your chin.  

There are multiple devices that will help to tighten skin.  If you are going to have a treatment such as Thermage or some other tightening procedure, you should have it done prior to the filler.

Good luck!

Multiple treatments...

Juvederm Volume- Volift can help with the cheekbones, especially with the contouring and 'light reflex'. I would possibly add a tiny amount to the 'point' of your chin. 
Yes, energy based devices such as Themage can tighten facial skin non- surgically. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia.

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Filler placement, such as Voluma, can help lift your cheek tissue and can add enough additional volume to recontour your face into a more heart-shaped appearance.  The same Voluma can be used near your jawline to improve its definition.

Facial Contouring with Voluma and Jawline Tightening with Radiofrequency

Absolutely ! Great question !
Voluma is excellent in creating a  heart shaped contour for a round face, while  at the same time providing a vertical lift  to the cheeks so that the pre-esxisting lower volume does not sag as much. When necessary, Voluma can be placed in such a way as to create more vertical height for a face if that is what the patient needs.

In our practice, we have a very thorough consultation with our patients, analyzing their face from every angle and together we decide the location of each and every spot that needs treatment to achieve a beautiful harmonious and natural result.  
Make sure the specialist you go to is a Board Certified Facial Plastic surgeon or Plastic Surgeon, who has the prerequisite training of facial aesthetic principles and artistry through their Residency and Fellowships, along with many years of experience with contouring in their subsequent practice. Look at their pictures and see if you like their results. Do they look natural, healthy and vibrant ? Well proportioned ?

You touch on another very important point - it is crucial to ensure the jaw-line and jowls are nicely tapered first and not redundant before placing the cheek filler so that the patient has proper proportions for a heart shaped face and does not become too wide. Even though I am a Facial Plastic Surgeon, our focus and passion is non-invasive technology and our office has 15 years experience with 11 different non-invasive technologies  for tightening and rejuvenation, amongst other indications. Hence it is safe to say, from our experience,  that the best tightening comes with Radiofrequency such as Fractora or ThermiSmooth, (as opposed to laser/ light based machines).

I hope this information was helpful for you !
Best of luck in your quest of staying beautiful !
Dr. Anna Petropoulos
Boston's North Shore

Anna Petropoulos, MD, FRCS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Balancing Facial Proportions and Juvederm Voluma with Thermage

Voluma can absolutely help with facial contouring and add volume to areas that require it.  Thermage is in my experience the best non-invasive facial skin tightening laser and the combination can help rejuvenate the face.  Thermage will not change your facial contours.  Thermage will tighten the skin and build new collagen.  Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

Facial Contouring with Voluma

When strategicall and appropriately placed, Voluma can help reshape the face.  By adding Voluma to the lateral zygoma (area of the cheekbone towards the ear), your face should have the appearance of having higher cheekbones.  In addition, you will often tighten the neck by this placement. 

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Bellaire Dermatologic Surgeon