Can my wide, bulbous nose be reduced in size? (Photo)

Super insecure about my wide nose with a bulbous tip. Seeking a defined and more lengthened nose. What are my options in regards to achieving these types of results? Also, would I need a open or closed rhinoplasty? P.S. wearing slight makeup around nasal area

Can my wide, bulbous nose be reduced in size?

How the Rhinoplasty operation is performed?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty

Knowing what you want to change in your nose is really the best way to start your search. You can have a smaller nose. You need to be careful not to make breathing worse during the procedure. Do your research on line and find someone who's photos you like. Check reviews and talk to them. Don't feel pressured to make a decision. You have gone a few years without surgery so there should be no rush.

Garrett H. Bennett, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous nose

The nose is not terribly bulbous. But there is room for improvement. During a rhinoplasty the tip cartilages are modified ( they contribute to the bulbosity) by removing and reshaping the alar cartilages.
You should have a nice result with an experienced surgeon.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty for wide nose and bulbous tip reduction

The bulbous tip is reduced with a combination of suture techniques and a conservative cartilage removal applied to the lower lateral cartilages of the nasal tip. The wide bridge line is narrowed with osteotomies applied to the nasal bones. All this can be accomplished with a closed rhinoplasty approach under general anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. Thick skin will be an impediment to seeing a very refined result in the tip of the nose.

Rhinoplasty

What you want done is completely up to you.I say a Rhinoplasty which typically starts at $5,500 depending on the area you live. To make sure you get the best possible result, the surgeon should perform a detailed exam of the nose and provide a realistic goal that you and your surgeon agree upon. Rhinoplasty are permanent, but with age facial features do change. Find a surgeon and go for a consult, I think you would be very happy after the surgery

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Tip bulbosity and rhinoplasty

Yes of course! This is one of the most common requests we get for rhinoplasty. Like most of our patients, you are your own worst critic of course. To you it may seem terrible - but over and over we see that some moderate changes safely performed can really enhance ones facial beauty. The open vs closed question is discussed a lot online - but in reality isnt that important of a question. The key is that your specific concerns are addressed, and that your surgeon fully educates you about your nose and what is, and is not, possible. I hope this is helpful to you! Best of luck.

Patrick J. Byrne, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

I think that a complete evaluation in person is necesary becuase a sinlge view photos is not enough. Best of luck.

Correction of a bulbous tip by way of rhinoplasty.

The outline of the lower lateral cartilages is visible meaning the skin is not excessively thick. From the photograph alone it looks as though you would be an excellent candidate. Video imaging would be very useful in sorting out what can be accomplished in the operating room.

Rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question. In-person consultation is necessary to determine which methods should be use to improve the appearance of your nose and more specifically your tip. 

All the best!

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Reducing a bulbous tip

After reviewing your photo, I believe that you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty.  Your nasal shape can be refined to give you a more aesthetic-appearing nose.  I recommend consulting a Board-Certified plastic surgeon who will accurately examine your nose, create a simulation based on what you could look like after surgery, and formulate a plan tailored to your individual needs and wishes.  Good luck!