When will ATX-101 become available? Will it be used off label for other areas of the face?

will it be used off label for other areas of the face? i would like to get rid of a small amount of fat transferred to the upper cheeks (near the eyes, it makes me look like achipmunk when i smile).

Kybella, previously known as ATX-101, is currently available across the United States. My practice was one of the first to acquire and offer this treatment, as we were involved in the clinical trials, and we have extensive experience injecting Kybella safely and effectively for treatment of submental chin fat. Currently, Kybella is only FDA approved for fat under the chin, and it is not recommended to use it off-label until further studies and trials have been done that prove its safety in other areas.

San Diego Dermatologist

Kybella in face?

Kybella has been available since June, and only a limited number of physicians have been trained in different areas of the country to inject it.  While some physicians have begun to inject it in areas other than under the chin, it is not being used in the face. Facial fat decreases as we age, so it is important to preserve the fat cells in this area. There are also concerns about the many nerves in the face essential for normal function and facial expressions, which are wrapped in fat (myelinated) and thus susceptible to temporary loss of function if near a treated area.

All the best to you and I hope this helps by updating the answer to your question.

Dr, Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Kybella for permanent reduction of submental fat

Kybella is FDA approved for the permanent reducing of submental fat.  When it was in clinical trials it was called ATX-101. It is not yet approved for other areas of fat in the face or body.  Allergan is currently studying use of Kybella for other areas of the body. Best, Dr. Green

Kybella is probably available in most areas of the country now, although it is probably still limited to just a few trained practitioners in each area.  As of right now Kybella is only FDA approved for fat under the chin, although I suspect it will be used off label in other areas once practitioners become more comfortable with it.

Kybella is available

Kybella is available currently for reducing the submental fat only.  It is not approved for use in other regions of the body at this time. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Time will tell - Kybella other treatment areas

My Kybella patients have asked me about cheeks and even their belly as potential future uses of Kybella.  Time will tell where off-label uses will increase, as in other countries where the cheeks are currently being targeted.

Sean Paul, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Kybella Availability

Dear angelxoxoxo,

Kybella has now become available to physicians who have undergone the training classes that have been offered this summer 2015. It is important to explore all cosmetic options. Kybella is designed for the fat areas beneath your chin and other surgical and nonsurgical techniques are targeted for the upper cheeks area. The benefit of Kybella is that it is a quick 15-20 minute in-office nonsurgical treatment that can provide relatively quick results.

Please consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon in your area to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and results and also to explore the option of combining Kybella with other cosmetic procedures to address all of your desired facial needs.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella ATX-101

Thank you for your question.  Kybella is available in cities across the US.  We are currently the first and only plastic surgery practice in the greater Houston area to offer Kybella, and I'm sure it's popularity will grow as the company introduces Kybella to the broader market.  Kybella can be used technically in any region of the body where there are fatty deposits, but I would caution the wide spread use of the product as they are focused on the submental region where there is typically a small amount of fat compared to the love handles, abdomen, etc...  Treating those areas 'off-label' is possible, but will be quite expensive as the product is packaged to treat smaller amounts of fat.

Kybella is available now

Kybella is now available to practices that have been specially selected by the company. We are currently one of a few practices in the Washington, DC area to offer this. Depending on where you live, major urban regions are charging about 1500 dollars per treatment. Currently it is only FDA approved to use in the submental region for the "double chin." The results are fantastic.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella is now available in the United States

I would suggest that the treatments with Kybella be restricted to the submental region as this is the only area where it has been approved. With time, I am sure more studies will be done to decide if treatment in other areas is of benefit or safe.

Gail Nield, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist