I'm one week after tummy tuck and I have stitches that I can feel under my skin?

I'm one week after tummy tuck and I have stitching up to my breast line and I can clearly feel it with my fingers and hurts badly. The stitches are so tight that I can barely pull my back straight. Is that normal? I'm deeply concerned.

Discomfort after a tummy tuck

Thank you for the question. Typically, some discomfort immediately after a tummy tuck is considered normal. However, if the pain is severe, you should schedule an in-person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation for you concern. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Tummy tuck question

The tightness and stitches you feel underneath your skin can be quite normal after tummy tuck surgery. This is due to the skin and muscles being tightened during surgery. It can take a week or two until you can stand fully upright. Contact your doctor and discuss this with them. They may want to see you and possibly make sure you have the correct amount of pain medication.

Of course this is normal. You had undergo a tightening of  the muscles of your abdominal wall (plicature). Do not try to walk straight it will happen slowly and in a normal way. Its been only a week and the recovery and pain differs for patient to patient.Best regards.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Stitches after tummy tuck

You are likely feeling the muscle repair as the swelling is receding. This would be consistent with the inability to stand up straight so I suspect the repair was very tight and should loosen with time. The pain guards against over exertion and, in that sense, protects you.

Be patient

You are freshly post-op.  All surgery takes months to settle down.  If you have any questions, please contact your plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Tummy tuck - can feel sutures up to the breast line.

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.
  • You may be feeling the pull of the sutures placed to repair your muscles.
  • You need to see your surgeon to be examined to be sure all is well.
  • After a week, you can definitely still feel tightness but severe pain of the kind you are feeling is unusual.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS