4 days post op Vbeam for hypertrophic scars, I do not see a lot of improvement. What could be wrong?

Hi. I am 4 days post my third vbeam treatment for red hypertrophic scars but I do not see a lot of improvement. I think the texture has become better but the redness has barely changed at all - maybe just slightly lighter than before but I'm not sure. What could be wrong? The doctor has increased the settings each time. How many treatments should a hypertrophic scar have? Thank you.

Treatment for Scars

Thank you for your question. It can take few treatments at least six every 4 weeks to get you the best result. Vbeam is great treatment for telangiectasia. Intense Pulse light (IPL) is also great for redness, hyperpigmentation and texture. It may also take up to 6 treatments every 4 weeks for best result. I hope this helps!

V-Beam Treatment for Scars

V-Beam laser is the gold standard for treating the redness in acne scars. It is impossible to predict how fast or how many treatments the scars will need. Some respond quickly and some need Fraxel in addition to the V-Beam to improve the scars. 

Vbeam treatment of scars

The number of Vbeam treatments need to improve a scar can vary tremendously, depending on the scar.  It normally takes several weeks to see the effect of a Vbeam treatment, so since your last treatment was only 4 days ago, it is fairly normal to not see any change yet.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon