Upturned nose after septorhinoplasty. (photo)

Hi, I had an open septorhinoplasty 3 weeks ago. I had deviated septum, hump and large nose tip before surgery. My cast was on for 1 week. Tapes and nasal silicone splints stayed on first 2 weeks. Right now my nose looks too upturned to me and my upper lip is slighty higher as well. My nostrils shows too much from front. My surgeon said it will drop down a few millimeters but im worried that it won't be enough. Can you please tell me if it drops to ideal angle? And how long usually it takes? Thanks!

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photograph.

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. You are extremely early in your recovery period and your nose will begin healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. At this point, it is hard to determine whether the appearance is due to swelling or not. Swelling can cause the appearance of unevenness, enlargement or a turned up nasal tip. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Healing post rhinoplasty

Your surgeon is right in telling you that the nose does drop a few millimeters as swelling settles down and the nose begins to heal. This can take from a few weeks to a few months - each day improving along the way.  It's hard to determine "how much" will it come down - your operating surgeon would have a better idea as they know exactly what maneuvers were performed during the surgery to get you to where you are today, and that will definitely impact how long it takes to get to your desired outcome.  Hang in there.  It is still very early on in the healing process for rhinoplasty.  As you know, it can take quite a long time to see the finished product.  Keep your surgeon up to date with any updates! Best of luck! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

It is always helpful to see preop photos, but I will say you are way too early in the process to anything else but wait and see. Good luck.  If you are unhappy in the future because it has not come down as much as you would have liked, then seek a revision. Best of luck.