Upturned and very long nose tip 6 days after surgery! (photos)

My nose looks really upturned, high and long. Here are photos from before surgery to after. Will it go down? On my side profile it looks REALLY long and going up which is not normal. My surgeon said it will go down and said I will NOT have a piggy nose but how much could it really go down. I see all these youtube videos and during their cast removal they did not have an upturned nose. Looks like the bottom part of my nose is huge

Early post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you. Kind regards,  Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Rhinoplasty and swelling

At one week out you are likely very swollen.  I would give it time to heal things will change quite a bit with time. Good luck.

You are in the very very early stages of recovery. It is often the case that the nose will appear upturned due to the taping, swelling etc. most of the time, it will not end up that way. Give it some time (weeks) and follow up with your surgeon. Good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

1 Week post Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and for including photos. It is way too early to know what the final shape of your nose is going to look like. While the majority of the swelling resolves within the first few months the final result of rhinoplasty is not evident for 1,5-2 years following surgery. In general, the tip of the nose will take more time for the swelling to resolve. Hope this was helpful, I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Ioannis Varnalidis, MD, PhD
Greece Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to contact your surgeon with any questions or concerns you may have because they are your best resource and know your anatomy and surgery best. You are still very early in your recovery period and your appearance will continue to refine.  It may take up to a year for all swelling to resolve and for your nasal appearance to settle to a final outcome. Your doctor may prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help reduce the swelling. Healing is often unpredictable and one side may heal quicker than the other and sometimes even nasal bones may shift in healing.  The outcomes may not be as expected.  In some cases a revision may be recommended to refine your outcomes, but I would wait at least 12-18 months so you are fully healed before considering a revision. 
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

6 days post rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and pictures.  It is not uncommon in the early stages of rhinoplasty to see some asymmetries.  You are very early in the recovery stage it is usually 6 months before the nose is completely healed.  Even though it is difficult, it is important to be patient during the early healing phase. Best of luck.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon