What can I do if I'm unhappy with my Restylane/Juvederm injections?

I went to a Dr yesterday who I thought I could trust from all the great reviews on yelp. I had my tear troughs, smile lines, a little lip and hollowness on my temple. She didnt really take her time injecting like another Dr. did ( when I last had this done). Now I have bumps on my temple and under eyes.. I look like I have more under eyes bags now than I did before. Can I ask her to fix this without me paying more? What can I do? I spent so much money and trusted the reviews.

Doctor Answers 11

Unhappy with Restylane/Juvederm

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I appreciate your question.
If you are unhappy, best to speak to injecting MD on how to make you look and feel your best.  I would wait a few days for the filler to settle and then recommend speaking with her about your options - dissolving it, etc.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Unhappy with Restalyne

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you are unhappy with your restalyne injections and you have allowed enough time for the swelling to resolve, you may want to have another set of hyaluronidase injections performed. Best of luck!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

Lumps and bumps

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question. If you are unhappy with a procedure that was performed, you should discuss this with the doctor. Every doctor is different, but I bend over backwards to satisfy my patients. Good luck.

Unhappy after filler injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I am sorry that you are unhappy after your filler injections.  One day is of course to soon to predict what type of results you will ultimately achieve.  If you're unhappy with your injections I would suggest having this discussion with the physician who performed your injections.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Improving Your Results

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear akeurodoll,

Of course you can ask her to fix it without you having to pay more. Your surgeon's primary concern should be their patients' level of satisfaction. Is your doctor board certified? While great reviews on yelp may be nice, a board certification solidifies a surgeon's experience, training, knowledge and talent. I suggest you dig through local surgeons to identify the most experienced hands by sifting through testimonials and learning how many patients have been satisfied.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 124 reviews

Unhappy with injections, be patient and communicate

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It can be very frustrating when you have injections, come home , have a look and don't like what you see. First thing-don't despair, be patient. 
Under the eyes may  take two weeks until swelling goes down and you can see what is really there. Lips , a day or two. Give this a little time before worrying. If you are still unhappy, go and talk to your doctor. My guess is that her goal is to make you happy but she first needs to know what you are not pleased with. If you have swelling now, use cold compresses. If you have bruising, warm. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist
4.8 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

One day after filler

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear 'Akeurodoll:'

It is nearly always best to consult the first physician who injected you when you have questions or feel unhappy with filler treatments.  She or he is, after all, the person who knows the most about your treatment and therefore may be the one who knows the most about how to increase your satisfaction.  And she is likely to be motivated to make sure all your questions are answered and that you leave feeling happy as well.  Perhaps a little hyaluronidase, or cold compresses, or a few more days are all that is needed.  And you will want to ask what can be done to prevent this the next time around. For example, perhaps you will want to have smaller volumes injected over two sessions.

Please let us know how it works out for you!

All the best,
Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD
New York Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Filler and doctor

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I think that you have to review this with your doctor and see what their policy is. Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Filler dissatisfaction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Wait a few days, apply ice judiciously and see how you look in a week. Since there is a costly product involved, I do not think a refund is likely but you could discuss your unhappiness and ask what she can offer. Good luck!

Uneven facial Injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If your injections are uneven you should wait up to two weeks to see if there is some swelling that will go away on its own.  I would suggest you waiting two weeks since you don't want to have more injections until you see the full results.  I always bring all of my injection patients back in two weeks to see what follow-up injections they may need and make any adjustments.  You should absolutely call and schedule a follow-up to evaluate the results at no charge.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.