Uneven contour of the implant after 2 years post BA, has my implant ruptured? (photos)

Hi, I had a BA done 2 years ago, a year after the procedure I noticed that my right breast's implant has an uneven contour, it is visible only when I lift my arm. Also, at the same time I noticed that it is very soft, I can hardly feel the implant. Does this mean that my implant has ruptured? My doctor said I should not worry but he did not examine me, since I moved to another country and could not see him.

Doctor Answers 8

Uneven contour of the implant after 2 years post BA, has my implant ruptured?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.  It is impossible to tell whether you have a ruptured implant based on a photograph.  You need to have an MRI to check for rupture of the implant.  If she cannot revisit your plastic surgeon your primary care physician should be able to order an MRI for you.

Uneven breast implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From the photo, it is difficult to see the asymmetry that you are concerned about.  You may have capsular contracture, or thickened scar around the implant.  However, a rupture is possible.  The standard for diagnosis of a silicone breast implant rupture is an MRI and you should have one done if you are concerned.  I would recommend re-examination by your surgeon or a local board certified plastic surgeon if that is not possible.  Unfortunately, implant rupture and capsular contracture require additional surgery to fix.  

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Contour Question

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.  From the photos, it is difficult to see the irregularity that you see. That being said, if they are silicone gel implants, the best way to evaluate for a rupture is with an MRI. This is the gold standard test for now, although ultrasound is very reliable as well. The FDA recommends having an MRI evaluation of your implants 3 years after your initial surgery and every two years after that. If they are saline, a rupture is very apparent in that your breast develops a "deflated" look. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Emese Kalnoki, MD
Rochester Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Uneven contour

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hard to tell from two pictures without an exam. Right side looks higher, may be due to pocket created.o get the answer about rupture you should get scheduled for an MRI.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Implant issue

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I think that you need to be seen in person to be properly evaluated. You might have a leak and/or a capsule in the breast that is misshapen.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Breast Asymmetry?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Lusie.  I appreciate your concern and while physical exam is needed, your history and photos demonstrate possible capsular contracture or thickened scar tissue around your implants. Treatment options vary according to implant location, under or over the muscle and type of implant. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and bring as much info about your implants and operation that you can. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Breast augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your plastic surgeon to have a physical examination performed. If they suspect a rupture they will send you for an ultrasound or MRI. This is really the best way to determine if you indeed do have a rupture because it is difficult to diagnose via the internet. Best of luck.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

Breast implant rupture

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question and photos. If you are concerned about rupture you should see a plastic surgeon in person for an examination and request an MRI to determine if the implant is ruptured. 

Good luck!

Dr. Khuthaila 

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 77 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.