What type of butt implants are now available here in the U.S? (photos)

Are these implants safe and do/ could you insert them under the muscle? Unlike the BBL would you be able to sit or lay on your backside after getting the implants or to the same rules apply as the BBL?!

Types of Butt implants in the USA?

In short, silicone gel buttock implants are not FDA approved and thus not legal for buttock implantation in the USA. I actually see about one patient a month that had gel implants done in another country and, although they looked a felt great at first, they are now seeking revision because the implants are either visible on top of the muscle and/or deformed by scar contracture or a ruptured implant. The soft semi-solid silicone rubber implants used in the USA are much less likely to have these problems if placed correctly under the gluteus muscle AND are considered permanent implants because they cannot rupture and leak silicone gel. First 2 weeks after surgery is the most challenging with swelling, tightness, and discomfort. Also sitting is prohibited for these 2 weeks. Patients may return to work after 2 - 3 weeks as sitting and basic daily activities become easier. After 2 weeks patients may sit for up to 30 minutes at a time, 3 weeks for an hour, and at 4 weeks unlimited.  At 3 weeks patients can resume upper body exercises while standing only, at 4 weeks upper body exercises while seated may be added.  By 6 weeks, all restrictions are lifted as life nears normal again, all exercise (including squats and lunges) and sports may be resumed again. Similar to breast implants, as long as the appropriate implant size/shape is selected, the end result should  look and feel natural (like a fit athletic buttock in this case).Glad to help

Butt implants

Dear Sleeved,                                                                                                                                         Thanks for submitting your picture, though a side view picture would have been helpful to the recommendation regarding implants' style. In the US, only semi solid (very soft) silicone implants are approved. I had patients from Canada and Mexico who got in the respective countries saline implants and silicone gel implant, which I removed and replaced with ultra soft oval round silicone implants , to the delight of the patients.. Oval round implants are anatomical and give a much more attractive result than the round implants.                                  As far as technique, I use and recommend the sub fascial (on top of the muscle) technique , which allows for pocket dissection superiorly, up to the posterior Iliac crest bone (where the muscles attach) creating a nice 'S' curve (shelf) and laterally filling up the hips indentation creating a beautiful silhouette. This can not be achieved with intra muscular technique. Moreover, the possible implants' size for the intra muscula technique is much smaller than my technique, and additionally, pain is more intense and recovery is longer.                      Based on your picture, you appear to be a good candidate for 565 cc implants or 660 cc implants. My patients are able to sit immediately, though they have to lean forward, so, to avoid pressure on the inter gluteal incision. They have to sleep on their stomach or the sides for one month , due to the same reason.                                                                                             Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeon who do lots of butt implants in accredited surgery center for your safety.Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with natural look. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.                              Best of luck,                                                            Dr Widder                               

Buttock implants

THe buttock implants we have available in the US are solid silicone implants. They feel a bit spongy but are not like the breast implants. I prefer that patient do not sit on them for at least 3 weeks minimum.

Buttocks implants

Yes implants are completely safe. The most concerning complications with buttocks implants include a)infection and extrusion; b)malpositioning

Proper surgical planning and technique will avoid infection and extrusion; to date, we have been performing buttocks implants for 10 years and have not required removal of an implant; b)malpositiioning and implant rotation can be avoided by use of round implants (if they rotate they will look the same) as well as meticulous closure of 4 layers of the incision line which will protect your implant.

Intramuscular implant placement is the ideal positioning of the buttocks implants as it cushions the implant from being felt and showing through your skin. We have been performing these surgeries for over 10 years without any complications. To date, we have not had to undo buttock implants using these principles.

Please see examples below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD