Can I get a tummy tuck at my current weight?

I am 39. 5'7 and 311 lbs since my son was born Oct 2012. He was over 10 lbs. I have petruding upper belly and sagging lower belly ..can I get a tummy tuck at my current weight?

Thank you for your question.  Your current BMI is over 48 and puts you at higher risk for complications with anesthesia, surgical healing, poor aesthetic result and blood clots (deep vein thrombosis).  In my practice, I do this procedure on patients with BMIs under 35.  Consider weight loss first with diet and exercise before undergoing elective cosmetic surgery.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Tummy Tucks and Obesity

A well done tummy tuck is an extensive operation which in the right woman tightens the core, recreates the hourglass figure flattens the tummy and lifts sagging mons pubis and front upper thighs. Getting these results in obese women is impossible because the fat inside the belly prevents the tightening, flattening and skin removal as does fat under the skin. The excess fat is also associated with infections and wound disruption. 
For your safety and long term happiness I would suggest that your current BMI of 48 is extremely dangerous and you may want to explore having a Gastric Bypass operation. Once you lose all the excess weight a Tummy Tuck would produce great results. 

Tummy Tuck being overweight

Honestly, no professional will operate on you being on that weight. Here in DR for example, your BMI need to be less than 35 before you can have any procedure done, that's in order to lower the risks during surgery and after surgery. Besides, If you have a Tummy Tuck now you will probably lose more weight and get loose skin again, which will mess up the work.
I recommend you to consult with your primary Doctor which would be you options (either bariatric surgery, just diet, exercising...). After your weight loss, you need to have stable weight for about 3 months before you can have a Tummy Tuck. I wish this was helpful. Best luck! 

Yily De Los Santos, MD

Tummy Tuck

That you for your question. At your height and weight, your BMI would preclude surgery in an outpatient facility. Surgery could be done at a full service hospital but for a cost effectiveness weight los is appropriate.

Can I get a Tummy Tuck at my Current Weight?

Any type of surgery is going to be safer when your BMI is under 30. Keep in mind too that if you proceed now and then lose weight later, you will still have loose skin from the weight loss. It is best to wait until you are at a healthy weight before proceeding with any cosmetic surgery.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Surgery would not be a good option for you right now. You should focus on ways to lose weight such as diet and exercise. You should speak with your primary care physician about this. Also, many patients benefit from bariatric / weight loss surgery when other venues have failed. Good luck.

Tummy Tuck / Mini Tummy Tuck /Abdominoplasty/ Liposuction/ Reverse Abdominoplasty/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Can you get a tummy tuck

There are doctors who will operate on anyone, so can you get it? I'm sure someone will do a tummy tuck -- but it would be the wrong thing to do. Your BMI needs to be below 30 to get a decent result. Thus - DIET AND EXERCISE are what you need to loose the weight first.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck and obesity

Unfortunately, you BMI is very high and you are at risk for a multitude of complications. See your doctor for weight loss suggestions.

Weight loss

Hello and thanks for your question. You will need to reduce your BMI to below 30 for you to have safe surgery and reduce your overall risks