Can I get a Tummy tuck at the same time as my abdominal hernia repair if I still have weight to lose?

I have a large abdominal hernia from Lap-Band surgery. I have had surgery to repair it, and it is back and bigger. If I have to have the hernia fixed, can they do a tummy tuck even if I am overweight?

Tummy tuck and hernia

Hello and thank you for your question. You can have the hernia repaired and a tummy tuck at the same time if you are an appropriate candidate for surgery. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Abdominal hernia and tummy tuck

Both procedures can be performed simultaneously by a board certified plastic surgeon. After lap band surgery, you should wait at least a year and until you have reached what you believe is a stable weight.  If the hernia is symptomatic, then this should be repaired now with the abdominoplasty deferred until after your weight situation is stable.

Tummy tuck and hernia repair

The short answer is yes. If the hernia is not causing symptoms I would recommend waiting until you have lost most of your weight. This could take a year or so from the lap band surgery. Not only will you get a better result from the cosmetic part, but the hernia repair will be more successful as well. Good luck.

Generally speaking, always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck and/ or hernia repair surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.
  I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss), helps.