Tummy Tuck Vs. Liposuction: What will help improve my shape? (photos)

I hate the shape of my tummy/lower back, from the front it looks pot-bellied, but the side profile is flatter in comparison. It is rather unsightly. I am 63Kgs/139lbs and 5'10" tall. I have tried dieting and gym, which worked to an extent in the past but lately I can't change my shape anymore. Can I get good results just with lipo, or a mini T/T and what areas will I need suctioned? (I lost just under 30kilos in my teens, am now in early 30s) Thanks in advance :)

Tummy tuck/liposuction

based on your pictures you shared,looks like you are great candidate for tummy tuck and liposuction of your sides and back, please consult carefully with a board certified PS.

Tummy tuck or liposuction

From your photographs, it seems apparent that you only need liposuction to contour your body. Your skin would likely contract nicely without giving you enough loose skin that would have to be dealt with.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Great candidate for liposuction

Hello, and thank you for your question and photos. You are an ideal candidate for liposuction. You have a stable weight, and a healthy BMI. Your flanks and lower abdomen seem to be resistant to weight loss. Liposuction will remove the fat in these areas. You're young and healthy, so your skin should shrink back over the new shape within 6 months. Best of luck to you!

Tummy tuck or liposuction?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Your photos suggest that you will get a good result from liposuction alone.
  • But have your plastic surgeon examine you carefully - if the skin is very loose, you may need some skin removed as well.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy Tuck Vs. Liposuction

Good Afternoon Lucian0. Hope this finds you doing well.  From the looks of your photographs, I would say that you would have a good result with Liposuction alone.  You will need to make sure that your PS evaluates your skin quality (which is hard to tell in the photograph) of your lower abdomen.  You do not want to trade fullness for lax skin.  If you have any laxity to your skin now, liposuction will only accentuate that issue.  However, you will never burn any bridges just doing Liposuction alone. You can always go back and have skin removed or muscle tightening.  Good Luck. 

Shelby Brantley, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck?

Hello and thank you for your question.

I think you would get an excellent result from liposuction to the abdomen and flanks. Liposuction targets pockets of exercise-resistant fat, which is exactly what you describe. You are a great candidate. If you are surgical or anesthesia adverse, CoolSculpting would be an option, however it is not as aggressive and may require 2 treatments. 

I recommend that you meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Vath

Liposuction

You should have liposuction.  Abdominoplasty treats the skin excess and muscle weakness of the abdomen, as well as any fat that is between the belly button and the pubic hairline. Liposuction treats only fat. It can be used to thin out the abdomen, but the skin must be in good condition with no excess, and there should not be muscle weakness. I do not like to combine abdominoplasty with liposuction because of the added risks of fluid collection under the skin, and wound healing problems as well as a significant increase in the risk of blood clots in the legs and lungs (VTE).

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

It appears you would benefit from a liposuction and may not have sufficient loose skin for a tummy tuck.
Consult with a few plastic surgeons in person to be sure. Watch this brief video for more information.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

CoolSculpting for men

Nonsurgical options including CoolSculpting are a great alternative for male patients who want to remove stubborn lower abdominal fat without scars or downtime. It may require more than one cycle, but is something to consider.

Tummy Tuck vs Liposuction - Which Is Best For Me?

Obviously, an in person exam would be absolutely necessary to give you the most coherent answer regarding the elasticity of your skin.

That being said, you appear, at least from your pictures, to be an excellent candidate for liposuction alone.  Although you lost 30 kilos during your teens, it appears you do not have any loss of elasticity.  You are young, male and hairy.  These all bode well for greater elasticity and thicker skin which should respond very well to liposuction alone, both of your hips (lumbar rolls) and abdomen. 

California is chuck full of excellent Board Certified plastic surgeons.  I recommend you consult with three and pick the one most experienced and who you interact best with.