Do I really need a tt? (photo)

I've seen pics where other people have way more excess skin all around and get great if not astonishing results just from a liposculpture. I really don't want a tt. So I'm wondering... heading to Colombia February 2017...your thoughts are highly appreciated.

Liposuction or tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. It depends of your expected goals from the surgery. Based on your pictures it appears that you don't have any significant stretch marks. Liposuction results are based on your skins ability to contract after the surgery. The looser the skin and the more stretch marks you have the less likely your skin will contract enough to give you the result that you desire. Also, the more  skin that you have that that hangs down the more likely you are to need a tummy tuck. Your should get a couple of consultations prior to your surgery. This can help you get an idea of which procedure might be best for your desired goals. Good luck.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction?

Thank you for your question and photo. Your skin appears to have minimal stretch marks and may have good elasticity but the visible overhang and protrusion suggests that with liposuction alone, you would not be pleased with the appearance. In person consultation is really necessary for accurate assessment and planning. Be sure to seek a board certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss the pros/cons of various options.

All the best

Do I really need a tt? (photo)

Please put your front, side pictures. These pictures are easier to see if they are taking by someone else not close to the camera of the area you are interested only to give you a better answer.

tummy tuck and a vertical abdominoplasty. The appropriate procedure depends the amount and location of the excess skin. That's what your plastic surgeon will have to determine after the actual physical exam.

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Tummy Tuck and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.  Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Tummy Tuck vs. Liposuction

Honestly, without assessing your skin in person, it is impossible to give you an accurate recommendation. It's really going to depend on your desired results and the elasticity of your skin. The liposuction will remove excess fat, but if the skin doesn't have the ability to "bounce back", which happens with age and stretching due to pregnancy, you may be left with loose skin. I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to be assessed in person.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck

From these photos, you seem to be a candidate for a tummy tuck. Definitely seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in Body Contouring Surgery for a consultation. Be sure to express your expectations and goals to the surgeon your choose. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.

Vistnes Plastic Surgery 

San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #tummytuck #drdeanvistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal contouring options

There are a variety of abdominal contouring options that are available to you including liposuction and tummy tuck surgery.  Which procedure is best for you will depend on what you are trying to accomplish and the quality of your abdominal skin and soft tissue.  As long as you communicate these details with your plastic surgeon he/she should be able to provide you with options and advantages/disadvantages of each option.

Good luck with your abdominal contouring journey.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I would recommend scheduling a few more consultations with a board certified plastic surgeons so you can have additional physical examinations and several expert opinions to consider. Based on your photos, It is hard to tell if you have enough excess skin to make you a good candidate for a tummy tuck, but if you are definitely trying to avoid the scar associated with a tummy tuck then I would suggest having SmartLipo. SmartLipo loosens then removes fat and tightens the overlying skin, reducing bulges of fat while simultaneously toning the body. It also offers tissue retraction through soft tissue coagulation, reliable, controlled energy delivery, reduced liposuction procedure time and patient downtime, less bleeding and bruising than traditional liposuction and high-definition body sculpting capabilities. Smartlipo also delivers precision and versatility with wavelengths that are ideal for smaller and larger fat deposits, tissue retraction, fibrous areas, or secondary liposuction cases.
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Do i really need a tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question.  The ideal liposuction candidate has localized fat deposits and quality overlying skin without significant excess skin or skin damage.  Fat can then be removed to strategically sculpt the body and accentuate feminine curves.  The skin then retracts over the new shape to give the final result. An in person evaluation will be crucial to determine if you´d need skin excision through a tummy tuck. There are various types of abdominoplasty procedures for patients to choose from. Each one is designed to treat a specific set of needs. In consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon, the choice of procedure will be made based on your anatomic features and desired outcome. While all tummy tucks have in common that they tighten the abdominal skin, there are two key differences between the various procedures. The incision lengths vary depending on the amount of skin to be excised, and the abdominal muscles may be tightened if they have excess laxity. For you, a Mini Tummy Tuck would be a good option.  This uses a relatively short incision in the same area of your C-section.  Since you don't need much skin resection, you could avoid the incision around the belly button.  Most importantly, this would give access to the abdominal wall so that a good muscle repair (placation) can be performed.  

Do I really need a tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question.  I see many patients in consultation each week who ask this very same question and my answer is always two-fold.  First, what kind of abdominal contouring are you hoping to achieve.  And secondly, what information is the physical exam telling me about the tone of your skin.  

Liposuction is ideal for patients who are looking to slim down specific problem areas and change their overall body proportion and contours.  Ideal candidates are at a stable weight and complain of localized fatty deposits that are resistant to even the most rigorous diet and exercise regimens.  The one caveat when it comes to liposuction however, is how we as plastic surgeons believe your skin will contract once the fat has been removed.  The last thing we would want to do is remove this excess fat to leave a patient with lax or excess skin in its place.  This is where the physical exam becomes critical.

A tummy tuck on the other hand is an ideal option for patients who may have already had children or who may have lost a significant amount of weight and are concerned with an already present envelope of excess skin or some separation or diastasis of the abdominal wall muscles.  Ideal candidates for a tummy tuck are at a stable weight as well, and who wish for abdominal contouring that involves removal of this excess skin for which there is truly no other option for removal or contraction.  

In the absence of a physical exam it is difficult to say with any certainty what kind of skin retraction we could except if you elected to have liposuction of your abdomen and flanks (waist, hips and bra rolls).  From the photo you included, you do not appear to have many stretch marks so I would not be overly concerned with skin retraction.  With that said, to determine what sort of result you could expect from liposuction you would need to seek an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  I hope you find this helpful and I wish you the best. 

Do I need a tummy tuck?

The answer really depends on your expectations and your skin. You do not appear to have any stretch marks, and it is possible that your skin would retract some, but I’m not sure that it be enough for you to be happy with the results. I would recommend consulting with at least a couple of board-certified plastic surgeons to be examined in person and to discuss the best options for you.

Dustin L. Reid, MD