Would you trust this laser machine?

A salon I was planning on going to for laser hair removal has this machine (please see pic attached). Do you think this laser machine can be trusted/would be ok to use? I have fair skin and dark coarse hair. Any advice on this machine would be greatly appreciated, as I do not want to waste my money. Thank you!!

Laser for hair removal

I would try to get the exact type that is used and make sure it is FDA approved. I would then check the on line site for that laser to get more information. There are many lasers that are effective for laser hair removal but I would use an FDA cleared model.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser hair removal in a salon

Dear Lizzyxoxo:

This does not appear to be an FDA-approved device used for laser hair removal in the USA. The safest and most effective lasers are generally speaking too expensive for spas to be able to afford (we are talking about $65,000 to $150,000) and require in-depth understanding of laser physics and the interaction of laser with skin and it's appendages, something that is generally beyond the ken of someone working in a spa. I have seen many patients suing spas for blistering and scarring from inappropriate laser treatments, and many more patients who have had ineffective treatments at a spa. I would never recommend that my sister, brother or mother go to a spa for a laser treatment,

Please consult a board-certified dermatologist with many years of experience in laser hair removal, who cares about patient discomfort and the speed, safety and efficacy of treatments.

(At The Center for Aesthetic and Preventative Dermatology, we have upgraded to the Cutera ExcelHR device, which has both alexandrite and NdYag wavelengths of laser light, and is safe for all skin types as well as the finest and coarsest of hairs and all sizes in between. It's chilled sapphire tip makes the treatments comfortable without any topical anesthesia, and a back can be treated in as little as 10 minutes.)

Please see the article below for more information.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Laser Hair Removal--Takes a series of treatments--See an expert

I recommend going to a board certified dermatologist for laser hair removal. It will take a series of treatments to get results. See an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Make sure it is FDA approved for hair removal

I have not seen this laser hair removal device before.  If you really want to get it done there (i.e. referral from a friend/family?), then you can ask them for the name/manufacturer so you can look up some info regarding the device.  Most importantly, just make sure it is FDA approved to be used for laser hair removal.  

Maggie Chen, MD
San Jose Physician

Best laser hair removal machine Diode/YAG/Alex/IPL

Thank you for your questions. When choosing a laser procedure it's important to remember that it's not only the laser that gives you the results but who performs the treatment and their level of expertise.

I am not familiar with this laser and haven't seen it at any recent laser conferences either. It's either cheap or not FDA approved.  If you are not sure if you can trust this laser or the salon,  why would you want to risk your health?

It's always better to have any laser procedures performed by trained medical professionals, or at least be in the place that has high standards of care and is physician supervised.

Lasers are not toys. You need to make sure they are FDA approved and also new. My office works with the leading laser company called Cynosure and they are the leaders and produce gold standard laser technology for laser hair removal. Hope his helps and you will find a provider you trust and will give you satisfying results. Best, Dr.Avaliani

Anna Avaliani, MD
New York Physician

Trust a laser machine in a salon?

I'm not familiar with this being one of the common LHR machines I've seen. I don't know if it's FDA approved or not. I wouldn't trust it but more importantly, I wouldn't go to a salon for laser hair removal. Please get your laser work at at a physician's office for best and safest results.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Hair removal

The wave length is appropriate for the hair you describe. The problem is this is not a laser that is typically used here in the states. Sometimes these lasers are underpowered and not calibrated appropriately. I would suggest you look for a provider that is experienced and uses a well known laser. Some of the brands we use in our office are lumenis and candella.

Jean M Casello, MD
Northborough Physician

Laser Hair Removal

More important that a specific machine is the quality and experience of the staff. A diode laser is likely to be satisfactory for your skin tone and hair color, however you should be comfortable with the facility/staff providing the service. 

James Silberzweig, MD
New York Radiologist

Hair Removal with non FDA approved Laser

I would not suggest using a laser that is not an FDA approved laser.  In somebody with fair skin and coarse dark hair, I would use an Alex laser for the best results.   For a darker complexion I would use a YAG.  Please make sure that you seek care from an experienced physician.  Regards, Dr. D

Laurene DiPasquale, MD
Westwood Physician

Diode Germany Laser

I would only recommend that you have laser hair removal from a board certified dermatologist with a USA based laser.  I only utilize FDA approved lasers in the USA to use on my patients that can be serviced and maintained here.  I use the Gentle Yag for dark hair that is course with amazing results.  Please consult an expert in laser hair removal.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD