Which is the best treatment to remove surgical scar from the knee ? (photos)

I have a 4 yr old broken patella scar on my knee . Which is the best method to remove it ? And how much time does it take after the removing process ? Since it is an area of movement and motion so how much bed rest would be required after the process ?

Hypopigmentation scars on the knees

Fractional lasers and Plato's Scar Serum combined with micro needling can help improve the scars on the knees. The hypo pigmentation is difficult to control. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Which is the best treatment to remove surgical scar from the knee?

Thank you for your question. Scar revision procedures with laser therapy can definitely improve the tone and texture of your scar. This procedure is very easy and there is no downtime, so you can return to normal activities immediately after. After a consultation, the physician can determine which laser is best for your skin to improve the scar without creating hyperpigmentation in the surrounding area. Three to five treatments are necessary spaced a month apart.

Ariel Ostad, MD

Scar and Treatment

Lasers such as Fraxel might make a small improvement. This area would be difficult to treat since it is an area that there is continued movement.  Please consult a plastic surgeon for their expert opinion.  Best, Dr. Green

Scar revision

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a scar revision surgery. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD