Should I treat the potentially irregular mole on my chest before getting a breast augmentation?

I am looking into breast augmentation surgery but have a concern regarding a mole on my chest. About 10 months ago a fairly large mole appeared on my chest. I have quite a few moles already but this one is darker and bigger. I have been keeping an eye on it for signs on change and so far it has the remained the same size, texture and colour. Should I have the mole looked at before proceeding with surgery in this area?

Mole first?

I would have your mole checked out first to be on the safe side.  It may or may not need a biopsy and it is better to determine this need prior to surgery.  All the best to you.

Fix the mole before breast surgery

Thank you for your question.  This is an important issue to look into before you start down the road of elective cosmetic surgery.  I'd recommend you have the mole checked out prior to surgery for two reasons: 1) if it is something bad you want to take care of it sooner rather than later, and 2) if you have a breast augmentation and need to have the mole removed afterwards it can change the way your breast skin behaves and therefore will after the results from your surgery.

You're better safe than sorry- have that mole checked out and then move forward with your breast augmentation.

Good luck,
Dr. Seth

Mole on chest

Yes I would have the mole checked out before proceeding with surgery just to be on the safe side.

Chien C. Kat, FRCS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Atypical mole

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend having the mole biopsied as it is changing in color and size prior to any surgery.  It would in my mind, be the safest thing to do.  Best to speak to a board certified plastic surgeon.  All the best, 

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Mole

Always take care of needed medical issues before elective cosmetic surgery. Get the mole looked at by a dermatologist and perhaps biopsied if needed.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Treating lesion before augment

Yes, you should definitely see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon about the lesion before planning cosmetic augmentation. Medically necessary always trumps cosmetic!

Irregular mole

Yes, get the mole evaluated first. Since it represents a potential medical concern it should always take precedence over cosmetic surgery. 

Mole removal before breast augmentation

Your best option is to see a dermatologist to evaluate the mole. It may need a biopsy, but you should get it checked out prior. If the entire mole needs to be excised, Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Have a check

Your mole can be checked by a dermatologist.  Many plastic surgeons will also check out moles and do biopsies if necessary, especially if it is in the surgical area.

Concerned about this mole

I would have it looked at either during your consultation or by a dermatologist. If it needs to be removed it can likely be done at the same time as the augmentation, depending upon exactly where it's located. Good luck!