Tough deciding what kind of scar strips to use?

What's the best scar strips for any surgery.. I've been searching all over online. People have told me use strips by Embrace and others said use Mederma ..

Embrace Active Scar Defense & Mederma for Scarring

Embrace Active Scar Defense and Mederma are two different types of scar treatments. Embrace is an active scar device that relieves tension on an incision, which is a major factor that contributes to bad scar formation. Mederma is a passive, topical scar gel that reduces the appearance of new and old scars. Mederma also lacks the higher level clinical studies that Embrace has conducted and published in peer reviewed scientific journals. Using an active scar treatment, such as Embrace, after surgery is most helpful during the early stages of the healing process. After treatment with Embrace is complete, patients benefit from using a silicone scar gel in the continuation of their scar therapy. A silicone scar gel commonly recommended by plastic surgeons is bioCorneum. Using both types of scar treatments helps patients utilize both of their advantages. Consult your board-certified plastic surgeon regarding a scar therapy that would be best for you. Good luck with your research!

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Scar care

Silicone based anti-scar creams or strips are what I recommend (two to three weeks after surgery) as silicone is the ingredient that has been clinically proven to have a beneficial effect on scars. To my knowledge Embrace has silicone, while Mederma does not.

Salem Samra, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Scar Care?

Thank you for your question. I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions. Biocorneum makes an excellent product. Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps!

Silicone strips

Several manufacturers produce the strips. It's like deciding between Johnson & Johnson versus Curad. The key is knowing first whether you need to use them. Scars go on to heal nicely after plastics closure. I recommend them to patients with a history of hypertrophy. The healing process will not be accelerated by use of the strips. Additionally, depending on the area, there is paint on silicone which is applied like nail polish. Ask your plastic surgeon for a recommendation.

Silicone gel sheets

Hello and thank you for your question. I recommend silicone gel sheeting to my patients starting 2-3 weeks after surgery.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD