Tip plasty for reduced profile projection? (Photos)

Hi Doctors, I had a rhinoplasty/septoplasty 2 years ago I wanted a bump removed from my bridge and my nose made smaller, my bump was removed and I thought my tip was still swollen but my nose seems to be the same size as before minus the bump so my question is will a tip-plasty make my nose smaller (i want a nicer profile) also how long will the procedure take? will my nose have to be broken again? & is recovery basically the same? thank you

Tip projection

Dear Steph 1986,

In order to reduce the tip projection, you will need a revision rhinoplasty through an open approach.  This will not entail breaking any bones, but will require reshaping and repositioning the cartliages that make up the nostril rims.  A tip plasty alone will not likely reduce the tip projection. 

Dr. Michelle Yagoda

Considerations for Revision Rhinoplasty

Thanks for your post. You are correct that your profile photo does demonstrate some improvements in your nasal profile and tip position, but you are still interested in further refinement to your nose. You would need a complete consultation and in-person examination to determine the best recommendations for a smaller, more refined nose. In general, you will likely need a revision rhinoplasty and not just a tip-plasty, to achieve the results you desire. For secondary cases, especially involving the nasal tip, I would suggest an open approach. Please consult with an experienced rhinoplasty specialist for details and recommendations. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

Hi Steph,

Your nose seems projected and your tip may be bulbous. You are more of a revision rhinoplasty candidate. I don't believe you will need your bones broken. Recovery is typically around 7 days. To further evaluate your nose, an in-person consult and imaging is essential. 

Dr. S

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Tip plasty can often make the tip of your nose smaller

It appears that you want your overall nose smaller. In that case you might need more than just a tip plasty. It is difficult to tell how much smaller we can make the nose without other views. Also, for revision surgery, especially, it's important for your surgeon to be able to feel the tip of your nose to determine the strength of your cartilage as well as skin thickness. Both of these factors will help determine how small your nose can get.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Revision rhinoplasty?

Wait a year before deciding if anything will be needed and You probably will NOT as a guess.See your surgeon for follow up.

Rhinoplasty revisioin

I think that from one view it is difficult to say what might need to be done. It is possible that only a tip plasty might be require, but likely more than that would give you more improvement.  Best to be seen in person.