Can you still tighten the skin after Liposuction of the stomach?

I wanted to do a tummy tuck and BBL but, a lot of doctors don't want to do that. Is is possible to work it out where you don't need a tummy tuck?

Liposuction of stomach and skin tightening

In appropriate candidates, liposuction of the stomach will contour and flatten the stomach without a tummy tuck.  Patients with lots of loose skin, stretch marks and sagging usually benefit from abdominoplasty.     

Positioning postoperatively, may be difficult when combining BBL and tummy tuck but at times can be performed simultaneously.

Tummy tuck

If the doctors that examined you in person determine you are in need of a tummy tuck to correct the sagging/loose skin you have then there really isn’t any other alternative. The loose skin you have must be pretty significant and need cut out and stretched down to give you pleasing cosmetic results. I think you would be unsatisfied with other options out there that claim to tighten skin. Best of luck.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and lipo issues

If you have weak muscles and loose skin,. then liposuction will not treat that. Liposuction can thin the subcutaneous layer of fat. I have used many modalities to perform liposuction, and I do not think that the skin tightening components tighten the tissues to any significant degree.

Working out does not tighten loose skin. Working out will lead to weight loss and muscle formation, but it does not tighten skin. If the skin has stretch marks it is even less likely to tighten. You can find a PS that is comfortable performing both procedures together (I do this routinely in my practice on healthy patients that are a good candidate) or do the BBL 1st and then the tummy tuck at a later date. 

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... If you need a tummy tuck, it will be better for you to have it done with muscle repair, it will  give you also better results!!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

If thereis lots of excess skin in the abdomen preoperatively then most probably you would need a TT. If the exces skin is not excessive you may be able to have liposuction as well as a mini TT. If the excess skin is mimimal you may be able to benefit from laser tightening. At our center we offer Vela Shape laser for skin tightening and it really helps when the excess skin is mild to moderate. You need to consult a PS for best advice. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD