What are the best laser treatments (face/neck) for freckles, excessive thinness and loss of elasticity? (Photo)

I had severe cystic acne in my teens. I took 3 acne meds before taking Accutane. Since then ... my skin has gotten VERY thin and lost it's elasticity. I'm 30 and starting to battle with the texture of my skin and prone to redness easily. My face has thinned dramatically in the past 5 years and I am starting to see underlying scars from the acne and a bumpy texture. What laser treatment can I have done for fair and thin skin which will improve texture, build volume and tighten/lift skin?

Best Lasers for freckles and skin tightening

The best lasers for freckles, skin tone, and texture is the Fraxel laser and the best laser for skin tightening is the Thermage. I combine both in a series for my patients to achieve the best cosmetic results. First I utilize the Thermage laser with the new CPT technology to restore collagen and rejuvenate the face. Since there is no down a week later I start a series of two to three Fraxel lasers to remove freckles and and improve the skin's texture. These are my two favorite lasers!

Fraxel laser and Thermage or Ultherapy

For improvement with texture, helping build collagen to thicken the skin, and improve scarring the best laser would likely be a Fraxel laser. You would need multiple treatments (likely 4-5) to start seeing an improvement. Note that this laser can make you more red and scabby after the treatment. Procedures that best help with lifting and tightening the skin would be Thermage or Ultherapy. Someone who is experienced and knowledgable in all cosmetic procedures and laser treatments would best know which laser is right for you and in helping you achieve your skin goals.

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Fraxel® can help with scars, freckles and skin tone/texture.

I think you could see very nice results from a few sessions of Fraxel® laser resurfacing. I use Fraxel® for helping to minimize the look of acne scars (even deeper cystic acne scars), and it’s great for fading freckles and evening out skin tone as well. Since the laser resurfacing treatments boost the skin’s natural collagen production, you should also see an improvement in your skin’s firmness and texture over time as well. Take the time to find a skilled dermatologist who can work with you to develop a customized treatment plan that meets all your goals for your skin’s improvement.

David N. Sayah, MD, FACS