Textured round silicone VS smooth round silicone? (photos)

I have decided to go forward with the procedure and currently deciding between these two types of implants. I DO prefer the way smooth round implants feel...My concern is mainly rippling and cap. contracture though. I will be going under the muscle either way to minimize the "fake" look, but which of these implants are best suited for someone like me with little tissue? What are PROS/CONS to each one from your professional experience? Thank you in advance :)

Breast implant types in New York, NY

Dear Jellybeans83,
Congratulations on your decision to go ahead with your breast augmentation surgery.  A discussion with your chosen surgeon is now in order.  When placed under the muscle, there appears to be no difference in capsular contracture or rippling whether the implants are textured or not.  I would personally recommend smooth implants since they move around in the implant pocket similar to the manner in which breast tissue moves with changes in position.  Good luck!

Implant selection

While both types of implants are good, I prefer smooth round implants in the majority of cases placed under the muscle.  

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  I recommend smooth silicone implants.  This tends to give more a natural looking result.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Smooth vs Textured Implants

I would recommend smooth implants over textured implants, however much of this is based on your tissue dynamics.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.
The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  
Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.
Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.
During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.
Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast augmentation implants: textured vs smooth

In my experience the smooth silicone implants give a natural bounce to the breasts. 80 % of ASAPS plastic surgeons prefer the smooth silicone implants because of their low incidence of problems long term. Textured implants have a 10% incidence of seroma or fluid collection in my hands, consequently I rarely recommend them. Also textured implants have been implicated in a rare type of lymphoma. Additionally textured implants are stiffer then the silicone smooth implants. I think you would most benefit from smooth silicone or saline implants. Get Vectra 3 dimensional imaging, Mentor sizing kit and try on sized and shaped implants before you make your final decision. Good luck….

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Implants

I like smooth round implants and use them almost exclusively. The move well and I think give the best result. As far as over or under the muscle there is no evidence that under gives a natural look -- as a matter of fact often it gives more upper pole fullness which is more of a fake look.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Textured round silicone VS smooth round silicone?

The surface of the outer shell of breast implants can be either smooth or textured. There are pros and cons of each and the best implant for any particular patient depends on many factors including individual anatomy and desired outcome. Smooth implants usually have thinner shells and move more freely in their pocket than their textured counterparts. Many plastic surgeons believe that the thinner shell allows smooth implants to feel more natural. Implants with smooth surfaces are less likely to ripple. Textured implants were designed to lower the risk of capsular contracture, but whether it achieves that is open to debate. The textured implants may have a greater chance of leakage or deflation. Some of the differences of the implant surface characteristics depend on whether the fill material is saline or silicone gel. Currently, most plastic surgeons in the U.S. prefer smooth implants. You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon, who should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAP). Robert Singer, MD  FACS La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Which type of implant?

With implant placement under the muscle, the fact that the textured implants produce less capsular contraction becomes less relevant. Also, because the implant is deeper under more tissue, the fact that the textured implant feels more stiff likewise is not as important. I find, that in the absence of risk factors for capsular contracture such as smoking, a smooth silicone device has been preferable in my practice. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Lymphoma

An important consideration should be newly discovered rare lymphoma problems which have been present predominantly in,  textured devices. I personally do not use them and have excellent success and no capsules with smooth implants. I advise all my patients to have smooth implants only.Hope this helps. You should go to a plastic surgeon with at least 10-15 years of experience for their opinion.
Leland Deane MD FACSNew York, NYBabylon, NYGarden City NY

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon