What is the best technique for Lip augmentation?

What is the best technique for lip augmentation? And if I chose fat grafting, how swollen for how long will my lips be? Will people be able to tell I got fat transfer to the lips? I have pretty full lips but I would like my upper lip to be a bit fuller, so I am not looking for a big augmentation. Thank you!

Juvederm over fat

For subtle changes a temporary (one year ) filer such as juvederm or restylane is a good choice.This can yield a natural and not overdone effect.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Try filler

You should start out with maybe 1cc of filler and go from there. You do not want to overdo too much filler in the lips. It also depends on the look you are going for too. You can always add more filler to the lips if needed. Just remember if you are going to do your lips and you do not want to bruise you should not take any aspirins or anything that will thin the blood since brusing can occur.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Juvederm or Permalip

Hi Blablablabla123

Thank you for your question. It may be worth your while getting some Juvederm put in first as this will give you an immediate result with little cost, and give you a good idea of what shape and fullness you want.

If you then like this look - you can go permanent with Permalip.  It does not deflate, degrade or rupture over time. Although it’s permanent, it is designed for the ease of placement if a patient wishes to achieve a larger or smaller enhancement or even return to the lips original appearance. It does not limit lip movement and provides a natural look.

Do your homework and then perhaps you will be more able to know what you want. Fat transfer is a good option and is very natural looking.

Non-surgical and surgical lip enhancement cosmetic procedures are carried out as a day case under local anaesthetic. There will be some swelling post procedure that subsides very quickly. Our plastic surgeons will advise you on what best suits you and will help you achieve the exact look that you are after

Fat Injections

Thank you for your question. Fat injections are an excellent technique for lip augmentation because the fat cells are living tissue that will be recognized by your body and thus have new capillaries attach to the cells to keep them permanently alive. Lip fillers are not permanent evidence while fat injections are long-lasting.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best technique for lip augmentation

Fat grafting is not nearly as precise and natural as hyaluronic acid fillers. Its only advantage is the fact that is permanent, but the size of your lips may vary when you gain or lose weight. Definitely go for fillers, especially if only a small, natural augmentation is your goal.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

What is the best technique for Lip augmentation? = HA fillers (eg. Juvederm) #lip #Lipaugmenation

Lip augmentation could be achieve with multiple techniques including fat transfer, lip implants and soft tissue fillers. All the techniques have its pros and cons.

Lip augmentation with fat transfer is long lasting, but requires a minimally invasive surgical procedure and prolonged downtime. Additionally, it is difficult to achieve a perfect desired result since fat reabsorption can't be controlled by the plastic surgeon.

Lip augmentation with lip implants is also long lasting, but like with fat transfer, it requires an small surgical procedure with long down time. One of the main risks of the procedure is implant extrusion.

Lip augmentation with fillers based on HA ( hyaluronic acid) like Juvederm, Restylane, Belotero, etc, can be done in the office setting in a walk-in base, does not require surgery, it last for about one (1) year and allows the plastic surgeon to achieve precise lip augmentation. Additionally, it could be reversed 100% with an enzyme injection. 

In my practice I recommend lip augmentation with HA as the best technique for lip augmentation because the above reasons. Not always what is long lasting is the best for the patient. 

John Mesa, MD

Lip Augmentation

I love fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm for the lips much more than fat transfer. If you have the proper injections no one should know that you had them done and they will have a beautiful result.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip augmentatoin

I have used filler products as well as fat in the lips. Fat in the lips does take but I do not think it takes as well as in other areas of the face or the body.  HA's will dissolve over time but can be done easily in an exam room and the results are very reliable.

There are a number of options for lip augmentation, my favorite is Restylane or Juvederm

Restylane and Juvederm are hyaluronic acid products. Natural and well received by the body. They last from 6 months to a year in the lips. Injections are performed in an exam chair and you can go right back to work that day or the next day. Fat injections require surgical harvesting of fat and overijnection by at least double of what the final goal is. Now that we have hyaluronic acid fillers, most doctors rarely use fat for the lips due to the increased healing time.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Lip Augmentation Options

You are correct to try to understand all ramifications of lip augmentation. It is best to start off with fillers, which are NOT permanent, like Juvederm Ultra plus. If you like the look, then you can consider something more permanent, like fat transfer. If you don't like the look, no harm done. With fat transfer, plan on being very swollen for a couple of days after. Costs vary, depending on procedure and geographical location and who is doing it. Board certified plastic surgeons may charge more, but you get what you pay for! You want to find a doctor who is conservative and experienced, so you look like you and not Michael Jackson! Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD