Will teardrop textured implants look good on me? Small A cup, 5'3, 124 lbs. (photos)

I don't like the round or "balloon" look that implants have. As you see, I have very little breast tissue in the lower part. Am I a good candidate for teardrop implants? How likely are they to rotate? Also, I worry that they won't look as natural as a smooth round implant when I am laying down. What is a better implant for someone with my breast/body type?? Please be thorough!

Round versus anatomic shaped breast implants

Dear Jellybeans83,
Either round silicone gel or anatomic shaped silicone gel implants would likely provide a very nice result for you.  The difference for you might lie in your statement about not liking the round or "balloon" look.  The anatomic implant creates more of an upper breast concave sloping compared to the more convex upper breast fullness created with a round implant.  It sounds as though this is what you are looking for.  Despite the texturing of anatomic implant surfaces and precise implant pocket creation during surgery, there is still an approximate 1% chance of rotation.  They are both likely to look natural when you are laying down.  Good luck!

Breast Implants

There are pros and cons to both shaped and round implants.  I routinely use both.  The best way to determine which is ideal for you to evaluate your breast tissue dynamics.   I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for breast augmentation.  I use both tear shaped anatomic implants and round implants, based on the patient.  The most accurate way to determine the best implant for you is through an in-person consultation.  Your individual chest wall measurements will serve as a guide to help determine the ideal size of the implant.  Tear shaped implants can be placed in a precise pocket to help minimize rotation.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Anatomical implants

Thank you for the question and pictures.  I use both round and anatomically shaped implants.  I choose the implant based on the patient's desires and anatomy.  I do feel like the anatomic shaped implants give a slightly more natural look than the round implant and avoid the "balloon" look you describe. I especially find them better in cases of women who are starting off small breasted and not placing large implants. In your case, I believe they are ideal to also help stretch out the lower pole of you breast to give a nice natural appearance/rounded out appearance of the lower part of your breast.  Get consults with plastic surgeons who are comfortable with all types of implants and get their advice after an exam to get a more thorough answer.  Good luck.

Khashayar Mohebali, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.
The size of implant best for you  is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  
Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.
Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.
During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.
Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon Yes and No.

Breast Implant Selection

tear drop implants can rotate, making the breasts look deformed. For that reason I rarely use them. Your photos demonstrate that you are a fine candidate for round smooth silicone implants. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Shaped implants

Hi Selena,Shaped implants are an alternative to round implants and can achieve excellent natural appearing results.  They are ideal in women with very little breast tissue, particularly if they lack fullness inferiorly.  The two differences between the a shaped implant and a round implant that people frequently discuss are the risk of rotation in the shaped implant and the cost of the shaped implant.  You are a good candidate for shaped implants.   Be aware that properly selected round implants will provide you with a natural appearance as well.I hope this helps.  Good Luck,
Beverly Friedlander, MD

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Implants

The vast majority of plastic surgeons use round smooth implants because they look the best on patients like you. Tear drop are a choice, but they have problems and don't really look as good as you think. Stay with round. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Implant selection

It is best to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.   Tear drop shaped implants are one choice. My preference is to usually use round smooth implants.

Will teardrop textured implants look good on me?

Thank you for the question and pictures. I think your breast photos demonstrate some of the characteristics seen with tuberous (constricted) breasts. For example, the distance from the areola to inframammary folds seems to be tight and relatively short. Your inframammary folds seem to be widely spaced from the midline of your chest. The areola do demonstrate some features associated with tuberous breasts such as an increased width and “puffiness”.
Generally, correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.
Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast shape; the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate, the entire breast will change shape as well. This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, under the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts. Overall, I find that beautiful outcomes can be achieved with the use of round saline or silicone gel breast implants for the vast majority of patients.Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
 I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to corrective surgery for patients with tuberous/constricted breasts) helps. Best wishes.