Tear Trough Deformity - should I get implants AND Restylane, or just one? (Photo)

Should I get tear trough implants AND restalyne fillers under eyes to get rid of my tear troughs? Or just one? Will getting both help it more and last longer? Thank You

#TearTroughs

Dear SamG:

#Restylane or #Beletero should provide a nice correction and can last a long time under the eyes. This is generally a very safe procedure and when you are treated by an advanced injector you are unlikely to have significant bruising or swelling.

All the best! 

Dr. Clark

Restylane for tear trough deformity

I generally find restylane to be a terrific filler for treating the tear trough deformity, and based on your picture, you'd likely do well. Most people find they have a fair bit of swelling for 48-72 hours, and that the filler lasts between 1-2 years; bruising is always a risk as well, so don't have your treatment before any major function (at least 7-10 days prior). The anatomy here is very delicate and important, so make sure only a dermatologist or plastic surgeon is treating you.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Tear troughs

A filler like Restylane is great for the tear troughs.

This has largely replaced implants, and I highly recommend that you avoid them.

(also from your picture, you will be pleased with the filler alone.)

Tear trough deformity

restylane is a great option for you and can provide long lasting results. The main advantage is that it is completely reversible with a single injection of hyalronidase if for some reason you are displeased with the results. The implant on the other hand is associated with a number of complications some of which require further surgery. Play it safe! Good luck

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tear trough issues

It is difficult to tell from the photo but implants are rarely used anymore,  Injectable fillers are very effective and long lasting in most of our patients to treat the under eye area.  See a board certified oculoplastic surgeon who is an injection specialist for a consultation and they can review your options and which filler would be best for your skin type and bone structure.

I hope that helps and best of luck!

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restylane filler for tear trough

I think that fillers may be all that you need although you will have to have it repeated every 6-9 months. Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Tear trough deformity

Restylane can often last several years when injected under the eyes, so I see little advantage to surgically inserting an implant in the tear trough. Patients with hollowing in their tear troughs often also have significant hollowing in the cheeks, and adding additional volume into this area can help optimize the overall results. There can be significant bruising after the procedure, so be ready for this. Based on your photo, it looks like you would be a great candidate. Make sure to see a doctor who has a lot of experience with tear trough injections.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Be careful!

You show a close up picture of your eyes and lower eyelid including the tear trough areas, but I would guess that your cheeks have lost volume as well.   The most common mistake, in my opinion, is to fill in the tear trough area with fillers like Restylane or fat grafting without treating the loss of cheek volume.  While loss of cheek volume can be improved with cheek implants, the majority of people would look a little strange with them.  If you want to maintain a natural appearance, a lot of care must be done to understand what you may benefit from the most.  The lower eyelids, cheeks, and smile lines should all be considered together in how you address each area.  I would advise you to see a board certified plastic surgeon, who has a good understanding of facial aesthetics and know how to use fillers and surgical techniques in a thoughtful way to improve your face in a natural way.  Good luck!

Tear Trough

Tear troughs are a very special place to inject and the skin is extremely delicate.  I would not suggest you get a permanent implant there since as you age the wrinkles and structure of your face will change as well.  Restylane and Belotero will each work well in that area and may last six months or more depending on the depth of the area.  Belotero will not give you the tyndall effect (bluish hue) so at times is preferable to Restylane injections. Please consult a board certified dermatologist with extensive experience in this area for the best cosmetic results.