My tattoo is raised after laser session. Is it going to form a keloid?

While in Korea, I received my first laser session with YAG ND laser on my big left chested tattoo. After the session, it was mildly bleeding. The entire tattoo was raised for 2 weeks. After that, it went down little by little and now it's been about a month since my session. A lot has gone down but there are little parts that are raised in balls and my skin feels kind of hard on some areas. It still itches sometimes and when I itches it, it quickly raises up. Is this going to form a keloid?...

Tattoo Removal and Keloid NYC

Without a photo it is impossible to tell you what is happening with the tattoo.  If you would like to re-post the question with a photo I can be more helpful.  Tattoos take multiple treatments and can look red or discolored immediately after the treatment.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Keloid Formation after Tattoo Removal

Unfortunately one possible side effect of laser tattoo removal is fibrosis and scar formation.  There is higher risk of this if the treatment was too aggressive or if you have had many laser treatments, also if you have a predisposition to keloid formation.  Without seeing the area and monitoring it over time it is not clear whether you will develop a true keloid, but it the areas area still firm after several weeks/months then it is likely that you have developed a scar in the area.

Sejal Shah, MD