How will tanning effect new line created by improper placement of Botox?

I have been left with new and prominent lines from improper placement of botox/muscle recruitment. I do not want any more botox for fear of this being made worse or creating even more new ones (these lines were not there before the treatment) I use a very high sun protection on my face and wear a hat but worried these new lines might go red or even white if they get tanned even in the slightest....Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

Lines after Botox should go away

Sometimes certain lines will be more prominent after Botox while other lines are reduced.  A refinement should be done to improve results.  You should always choose a physician who specializes in injecting Botox because treatments should be customized to your specific needs.  I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.    It's always smart to wear a hat and a good sun screen to protect your skin in general.  As far as the lines are concerned, you face should go back to what it looked like before, after the Botox has worn off.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tanning and tox

First I have to do the dermatologist thing and remind you that tanning is a 'no no' with or without good or bad botox treatment.  If you've had botox, you care about your appearance -- and the number one way to keep your skin looking youthful is not tanning (face or body).  Having said that, if you've ever had a tan, you may have noticed that skin creases didn't tan -- if you sit in a bathing suit and your abdomen has folds, the skin in those folds will remain its original color.  If you squint or frown, the skin folded in will remain its original color.  Same situation here.  So please protect your skin from ultraviolet rays -- if you are changing color that means you are not doing enough (you are not applying sun protection sufficiently or often enough and you aren't wearing sun protection clothes/hat).  And if you aren't happy with the results of your botox treatment, call the physician who did the treatment while he/she can see what it is that you don't like.  The results can often be tweaked to improve the appearance by using filler or botox or, at the very least, your physician can make a note of the results so that you can have a better outcome next time.I hope that helps!  Best of luck!

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

Wrinkles, Tanning and Botox, oh my!

Hi again NellyN:Tanning and muscle induced wrinkling of the skin act differently. Tanning occurs by UV stimulated production of melanin in the skin. UV also oxidizes the skins cell membranes, nuclear membranes, DNA and various structural molecules of the skin such as elastin. This weakens the skin and the ability to repair it. Wrinkles occur where the skin is weakest to forces causing it to fold. The primary muscle injected with Botox may relax and allow for the repair mechanism of the skin to strengthen the resistance in folding but recruitment of other muscles will occur due to behavioral or protective reasons for the skin to fold or wrinkle; such as wrinkling crow's feet while lowering the eyebrows during squinting. A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial ENT Surgeon, talented and experienced in Botox injection can assist you in balancing the muscles used in facial expression. The use of UVA, UVB and "UVC" sun-blocks with anti-melanin formulations, anti-irritants and other anti-inflammatories such as ZO Skin Health Occlipse will help you in protecting against the accelerated aging of sun exposure and damage. Visit a Certified ZO Skin Health Team for your skin welfare!Hope this helps!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Tanning and Botox

It is best to use a medical grade sunscreen and wear a hat when outdoors.  It is always best to see a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist for your botox treatments.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox and sun exposure

UV exposure will not affect your Botox results. However, I do recommend sun protection with a SPF 30+ (UVA+B) as UV light will promote extrinsic aging and can increase the risk to most skin cancers. Of course, it is possible that you may notice redness in the areas exposed to the sun or UV light as well.

Tanning affecting Botox?

Hello, and thanks for your question. Tanning should not affect Botox result, but will increase your risk of premature aging and skin cancers. Always protect yourself from the sun. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Recruitment and compensation after Botox

Thank you for your question NellyN. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Before treating patients, we take photographs at rest and with facial expression. This allows us to determine where the Botox should be placed. Sometimes after a treatment, once the treated muscle is relaxed other muscles or other parts of the same muscle are recruited in order to compensate for the relaxed muscle. This does not mean that the Botox was placed in the wrong location. The additional areas can be treated and such an effect is noted so that the recruited areas are treated at the next treatment. The good news is that most people enjoy their results for 3-4 months, at which point the skin is back to baseline. Sun protection is important and the skin will tan based on a person's skin type, not whether or not wrinkles are in the area. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Sun exposure and Botox results

Sun exposure should have no effect on the results from Botox. Obviously, the sun will change the color of the skin due to prolonged exposure, but this will not be enhanced by injections with Botox.I hope this helps

Botox and Sun

Fortunately (and un-fortunately in most cases) the effects of Botox are temporary. There should be no problems with the sun. However, it is always important to wear sunscreen to prevent wrinkles, sunspots and skin cancer.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox and tanning

Botox will have no effect on the tanning that you are concerned about.  Don't forget to wear the sunscreen!