When can I swim in the pool after BA?

Breast Augmentation and Recovery

Thank you for your question! With any procedure, there is patient variation for recovery time.  A full recovery is typically 6 weeks, but light to moderate aerobics, such as swimming is permitted at 3 weeks. With any procedure, it is best to ere on the side of caution and allow yourself adequate time so your body can best respond to your procedures. Review a personalized post-op plan with your board certified plastic surgeon, which will allow you to feel more confident when you return to physical activity. 

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. I generally recommend waiting 2 weeks. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast augmentation recovery

I would have you wait at least 3 weeks. Your surgeon may want you to wait as long as 8 weeks. Best to check with your plastic surgeon and be sure you are healing well before going swimming. Good luck and enjoy the cool new look in the pool.

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Swimming and breast augmentation

I prefer patients hold off until healed. Many times I will allow patients to go back to light aerobics withing 3-4 weeks.( that includes light swimming).  Always best to get the clearance from your surgeon.

Swimming After Breast Augmentation Surgery

This is THE question almost all my patients ask. The recovery process takes time. You need to wait at least 4-6 weeks for scars to properly heal. Pools and hot tubs contain bacteria that you DO NOT want entering your body, especially through recent surgery scars.. It is better to be safe and wait than be sorry. Be sure to wear a comfortable bathing suit when you are ready to swim and start with controlled arm movements to not injure yourself 6 - 8 weeks post surgery). This is recommended recovery time, if you feel you need more, listen to your body and start when you are ready. Have a great summer!

Getting in pool vs Swimming after BA surgery

Thank you for your question. You should avoid the pool/hot tub for some time (at least two weeks) for the potential for bacterial contamination, but also because you do not want any repetitive arm motion/swimming (for at least 4-6 weeks) while you are in the recovery process. Each PS will have their own specific recommendations. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time. Generally, the first 4-7 days are reserved for rest and overall recovery, and after that patients can slowly work their way back with gradual low risk activities. I prefer to wait at least 6-8 weeks for repetitive upper body lifting/movements with weights and arm use so that the muscles, skin incisions and breast tissues have had adequate time to heal and settle before being stressed. The recovery routine will best be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so be sure to touch base with him/her on their specific recommendations.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Swimming after breast augmentation

You want to make sure that all of your incisions are air tight and that there is no possibility of bacteria being able enter your incisions. This generally takes 2-3 weeks. Ask your surgeon and follow their advice.

Swimming after augment

The key is that the wound should be completely closes before you can go into the water. That is typically at least three weeks. Swimming with arm extension is a different matter with a longer time frame.
Dr. Kraft
Yale Educated Plastic Surgeon

Swimming

I recommend to my patients that you can go into a pool 2 weeks later, but I would not recommend aggressive swimming with arm motions for 2-3 months. I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Best wishes!
Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Swimming

Generally, two weeks post operatively is fine for getting in a pool. No lifting or straining though. Hope this helps. 

Leland Deane MD FACS
New York, NY
Garden City, NY
Twenty five years of experience

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon