Is this still swelling or just bad Belotero injection? (Photo)

I had them done last Wednesday (so about 9 days ago). I asked her to use a cannula and the dr told me that there is better placement without the cannula but agreed to do it anyway. I did have a little bruising and a LOT of swelling. Now my left eye almost looks more hollow that before the injection and the right looks like there has been too much product injected. There is also a small bump that's noticeable close to the inner part of right eye. Is this all still from swelling and healing?

Belotero injection to the tear troughs

I'm sorry about your experience. Unfortunately, at this point, the results do look uneven. On the left, it is possible that the filler was placed too low and this has worsened the appearance of the hollow. On the right, you may have post procedure swelling or too much filler. I would wait 1-2 more weeks to see if any swelling improves and then I would followup with an experienced injector. The tear troughs can be injected with either a needle or cannula by an experienced injector. I consider cannulas safer and less traumatic when it comes to tear trough. When injecting along the lateral aspect of the eye, I prefer needle for more controlled placement.

Belotero in the tear troughs

Thank you for sharing your question. You might have residual swelling or just the results of poor injection. The tear troughs are a very delicate area to treat and require expertise in this region. I find Restylane to be a better product in the tear troughs, because it fills better and lasts longer. When the injection is performed properly with a needle, product can be placed more precisely and with minimal to no bruising. Allow another week to pass before judging the results. See an expert for your treatments.
Good luck,

Filler in the tear troughs and undereyes

Thank you for the photos.

I would wait 2 weeks before you make a final judgement as to the outcome of the procedure you have had. It does look uneven but it is too early to tell.

Dr H Karamanoukian

Swelling after Belotero to tear troughs

This can be a tricky area to fill, even in the most experienced of hands. Allow up to two weeks for any swelling to resolve. If you are still noticing unevenness and are unhappy with the appearance, a small amount of hyaluronidase (Vitrase) can be injected to immediately dissolve the filler. I would then wait a few more weeks and have the procedure done a second time. Hope this helps and good luck!

Katherine Zamecki, MD, FACS
Danbury Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Swelling after filler

Hello, and thanks for your question.

Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Belotero and Swelling

There often is a great deal of swelling in the under eye area and it is still difficult to evaluate at this stage. I would wait another week and if you are still unhappy return to your treating physician for Vitrase to dissolve the product.  Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green