Surgical Scar removal. Any suggestions? (photos)

Hallo, i got this big scar on the back of my neck during surgery. I feel very uncomfortable with it and want to get rid of it. Is there any way to make this scar including the stitch tracks disappear? Maybe Laser? Thank you so much for your help.

Scar on Body -- Fraxel/Microneedling, Sculptra/Fat/Bellafill, Subcision, Pulsed Dye Laser; Medical Tattooing

There are many options for scars including scar revision with surgery and treatment with lasers, microneedling and PRP afterward. Please see a board certified dermatologist for evaluation and treatment. Best, Dr. Emer

Scar revision

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a scar revision. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Surgical Scar Treatment NYC

These types of surgical scars can be difficult to treat.  Lasers such as eMatrix and V-Beam often improve the appearance of these scars.  It is important to consult an expert about the best treatment.  Best, Dr. Green

Scar revision

The scar may be able to be excised and reclosed with plastic surgical technique if you gave sufficient skin for this to be done.  That would remove the tracks which result from sutures being left in too long. Given the shape and size of this scar, I do not think laser is the panacea and it would address the irregularity of the scar.

Scar revision vs. topical scar creams

I would suggest a combination of Plato's Scar Serum and Melarase creams to improve your scar prior to any surgical scar revision. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scar revision

The best treatment for scar revision has a lot to do with the timing.  If you are recently out from surgery, then laser resurfacing, such as fractional CO2 or Er:YAG can definitely help with the appearance.  If the scar is more than 1-2 years old, often a surgical revision is a good starting point, with possible laser treatment after.  An consultation in person will be important because skin color, presence of any nodularity deep to the skin (possibly requiring some injection), and how other scars of your's have healed will all need to be assessed for optimal planning and results.  I would caution you that the scar will not ever "disappear" but can definitely be improved upon.  Best of luck.

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon