Non surgical chin fillers or surgical implant? (photos)

Hi. I am wondering if I would be able to achieve the look I want using only non surgical fillers or would I have to undergo a surgical chin augmentation with an implant? I did a quick photoshop to show my chin as is and what I would like the finished result to be.

Surgical chin implant candidate

Temporary fillers do not work very well for the chin area, since they are only temporary. When patients have a weak and recessive chin profile, a chin implant procedure is usually recommended to augment the chin. The chin implants and the mandible are both three-dimensional structures, so the size and the shape of the implant usually are determined at the time of consultation and examination. In our practice, we have been using  Implantech silastic chin  implants for over 25 years with an excellent success rate. For more information, many examples including diagrams of the implants themselves, please see the link and the video below

Non surgical chin fillers or surgical implant?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  Dermal fillers would not be able to achieve that degree of chin augmentation and would not be anywhere near as "cost effective" over the years as a chin implant.

Hope this helps.

Chin augmentation?

Both options are viable. However, soft tissue fillers will last up to 9 months unless fat graft or permanent fillers are used. Chin implant is such a simple procedure usually done in local anesthesia or a twilight sedation. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Filler work for chin augmentation but you need a lot of it

The outcome you show is achievable but may require 2-3 syringes of filler to achieve. At that price point you should strongly consider a formal implant. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers or implants?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation