Would you recommend a Surgery or Cold Sculpting for my gynecomastia? (photos)

What kind of procedure would I need for my mild case of gynecomastia? Would Coldsculpting help contour my lower/outer chest areas?

Types of Gynecomastia & Treatment Options

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in boy between the ages of 12 to 15 years old and older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. This type of Gynecomastia takes about one to two years to regress on its own.
Pure Glandular Gynecomastia is seen more commonly in body builders and is caused by steroid use. Surgical removal of the gland is required for treatment.
Adult Gynecomastia – Fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.
Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.
Assymetric or Unilateral Gynecomastia appears in either one or both breasts at different degrees. In many cases one breast appears larger than the other. Surgery is a common treatment for this type of gynecomastia.
Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery
Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon in person, is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Would you recommend a Surgery or Cold Sculpting for my gynecomastia?

I think surgery is a better option for gynecomastia.

Los Angeles, CA..................

Gynecomastia or CoolSculpting

We perform quite a bit of CoolSulpting in our office. But, nit for gynecomastia. Surgery is the answer for gynecomastia correction. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Which Approach is Best for Gynecomastia?

Please schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has treated at least hundreds of men with gynecomastia. Achieving natural looking results is not necessarily a slam dunk.

Most cases require some breast gland removal, and your photos appear to indicate this is the case for you. But it's important to leave some breast tissue to create masculine contours and avoid a crater deformity. Almost all guys also need liposuction to remove some measure of fat, and since the two types of tissue tend to be intertwined, careful treatment with surgical instruments is a must.
Any kind of procedure aimed only at fat is unlikely to yield the results you're seeking.

Gynecomastia is one of our specialties in our Manhattan practice. You might want to check out our extensive photo gallery--you're likely to see several guys whose cases look similar to yours.

Based on your photos, a combination on liposuction combined with a small scar to remove the fibrous breast tissue would be the combination of techniques that I would use to accomplish your goals.  

Jason Mussman, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Surgery or Cool Sculpting for my gynecomastia?

Based on your photographs it appears that you have some excess breast tissue below the areola. Cool Sculpting is a technique that will help reduce excess fat tissue. It would not be effective in reducing excess breast tissue. You would benefit with removal of the excess breast tissue.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Surgery vs coolsculpting on chest

Based upon your exam if the puffiness is more glandular then you will need an excision. Best of luck.

Gynecomastia surgery

Gynecomastia surgery is the way to go.Coldsculpting would not help to remove the gynecomastia,it may reduce the fat ,but not the gland.

Mordcai Blau, MD