Surgeon suggests exterior osteotomy to reduce hump on right side. (photo)

I had a closed rhinoplasty 2 years ago, on my right lateral side the boney hump is still present, essentially looks like my original nose structure on that side. I told my surgeon, who specializes in rhinoplasty, that I am unsatisfied with the right side. He suggested local anesthesia to perform an exterior osteotomy with an ostetome to reduce the hump, no major surgery. I would appreciate your opinion about his suggestion, if you think it will be an effective was to smooth the hump, thank you.

Surgeon suggests exterior osteotomy to reduce the hump on the right side

A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. An osteotome  and a rasp can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump without any external incisions.  Osteotomies placed in the nasal bones may be required to close the open roof created from the hump removal. This would require general anesthesia. For many before and after examples of closed rhinoplasty for dorsal hump removal, please see the link and the video below 

Precision in rhinoplasty...

is usually not achieved with shortcuts...that said, yo u likely don't require a complex revision but there is more to lose than gain by approaching your dorsal deformity in a minimalist fashion

There are some minor revision issues that can be addressed in the office under local anesthesia...but i bet you would like this to be your last nasal surgery intervention..

Good luck...

Hump reduction

The dorsal hump can be reduced by using an osteotome followed by gentle rasping to reduce any irregularities.  It is an in office procedure that can be done without much difficulty.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty will be best.

I would advise you to get a second opinion by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.  You will be disappointed with a minimal effort that will only cause you a lot of pain and discomfort with inadequate results.  The residual hump is probably both bone and cartilage and to correct this will require much more precise work than your doctor is suggesting.  Furthermore, just because your doctor says he's a specialist in rhinoplasty means that he's good at doing the operation.  And your problem is classic for an inadequate correction through a closed technique.  I prefer an open technique because I can visualize exactly how much cartilage to remove and reshape.  I think you will be better off with someone else doing the work.  Good luck!

Revisoion rhinoplasty

Without seeing other views, it is hard to say.  In general, nasal operations under local except for maybe an alar base excision of minor revision can be quite difficult to do without patient discomfort.