My surgeon is recommending a temporary crown three months after surgery and wearing a flipper?

I had my upper front center right tooth extracted and an implant placed at the end of July. I have been wearing a single tooth flipper since then. Three months after surgery (end of October), she wants to put in a temporary crown instead of a permanent crown, in order for the gums to be curved rather than straight. Only a month or so later will she want the permanent crown placed. I just want to make sure this process is normal? Will it be that different just getting the permanent instead?

Implant crown, flipper,

Hi:

This is a conservative approach to make sure you get the best Aesthetic results.  Depending on the level and the contour of the gum this might be the right approach.  

Dr. Maddahi

Beverly Hills Dentist

Temporary Crown

Well, your dentist is right. You have recently had dental implant and it will take some time to adjust the gums in the mouth. So go for temporary crown treatment instead of having permanent.  

Shahin Safarian, DMD
San Diego Dentist

Temp crown on plant

Your dentist trying to flare the gum tissue and establish what is called an emergence profile which is the natural widening of the tooth as it comes into the mouth.  This can be done with a healing abutment for a week or two as well.  The permanent crown should be made after the gum tissue is established. 

David M. Schertzer, DDS
Saint Louis Dentist