What surgeon is qualified to administer botox for droopy eyelids and eyelid ptosis? What are the risks/rewards?

I want to try botox for eyelid ptosis/droopy eyelids. One lid is lower than the other, giving my eyes different sizes. Can I ask an oculoplastic surgeon or ophthamologic surgeon to administer botox for eyelids? Is there a difference in provider? How long will I need to wait for botox to kick in,what's involved in recovery time and risk, & what can be done if the botox causes worse drooping/inability to close/open my eyes? #eyelid ptosis #droopy eyelids #botox #side effects

What surgeon?

Definitely you should consult an oculoplastic surgeon who deals with ptosis on a regular basis. In general Botox can only lift the lid 1-2mm.  Botox placed in the center of the lid near the lashes will temporarily weaken the eyelid closing muscles and thus elevate the eyelid. It has to be very carefully placed as there is a risk that the ptosis can be made worse.  An oculoplastics specialist will help determine whether botox or surgery would be best. Good luck.

Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelids and Botox

Many patients confuse eyelid ptosis with drooping brows. The first step is to make a causal analysis after which a treatment can be proposed. This requires an in person consultation by a plastic or Opthalmologist with plastics training/fellowship.  Botox takes 1-2 weeks to reach full outcome.

Eyelid ptosis

If you have true ptosis, you are better off having it repaired surgically. Botox injections are not precise enough to always get it right.

Droopy Eyelids/Ptosis

Droopy eyelids/ptosis can be caused by various reasons and needs to be evaluated before you are considering Botox. Often this is only a surgical treatment. Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Droopy eyelids need a thorough work up

Thank you for your question. Droopy eyelids and true ptosis of the upper eyelid need to be carefully examined by an experienced plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon to determine the underlying cause. Once the nature of the ptosis has been determined the strategy is often a surgical treatment. Please seek consultation with a qualified surgeon. Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Emily Hartmann, MD
Chico Plastic Surgeon

Hello Greyghost,

One of the unwanted side effects that is rare following Botox is eyelid ptosis and eyebrow ptosis.  Botox is not usually used to try to cause ptosis.  If you have one eyelid lower than the other you need to be seen by an oculoplastic surgeon.  There are several causes for a one sided droopy eyelid, one of which can be a tumor.  Because of this, you need an evaluation before considering any treatment.  Once the workup is done, there are treatment options to help raise the droopy side, instead of lowering the good side.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon