My surgeon used a large part of my septum to change the nasolabial angle. I'm extremely worried about the method he used.(photo)

13 months post op. I had the silicone implant removed and wanted the nasolabial angle to be reduced slightly and during the consultation the surgeon mentioned nothing about the need of using my septum to achieve that. After the surgery, he said he had cut out and used a piece of my septum, sized 1.3 cm x 1.3 cm. I'm concerned this wasn't necessary. I'd like to have a second opinion on whether this is a conventional approach. Many thanks.

If this is your final result, nothing to worry about

If your photos are your final result, please, give my congratulations to your doctor. From your pictures I found nothing to worry about.

Septal cartilage grafts

Your surgeon used a very common method to provide support for the nose.  Best of luck with you results.

He did the right thing

The only way to add to lengthen the nose is by adding cartilage which is taken from the septum. He did the right thing and your results are great.

Marcelo Ghersi, MD

My surgeon used a large part of my septum to change the nasolabial angle

This is entirely conventional. If you feel that you need a second opinion, seek an in person consultation. It is highly unlikely that your surgeon chose to place a cartilage graft that was unnecessary. Most likely, this was required to support and position your tip after removal of the silicone implant. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Using septal cartilage

Thanks for your question. First I would say from you profile pics your surgeon did an excellent job. Counter rotation of the nasal tip is one of the most difficult techniques in rhinoplasty surgery. To answer your question yes it is very customary and in fact preferred to use septal cartilage. In my opinion you should be very great full that you found a surgeon skilled enough to be able to make the changes you desired with only using septal cartilage. It is a much preferred method to changing the nose than using foreign bodies like silicone implants. In my opinion you have much more reason to be thankful than concerned about your surgeons technique. Hope this helps.

Julian W. Dixon, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon