Which surgeon should I go to for freckles removed? (photo)

Hi!This is Onna,26 years old.I have freckles on my cheeks and a few all over face.I wanted to do laser but I have no idea about which sergeon to go to.

Doctor Answers 3

Freckles Respond Well To At-Home & In-Office Superficial Peel Treatments

I have been successfully treating unwanted freckles for more than three decades with a combination of in-office peels and at-home topicals. In general, a routine use of an at-home fading cream (and there are a variety of products, in addition to hydroquinone that may be used) combined with a series of  in-office superficial peels (typically six to eight treatment sessions performed at two to four week intervals) yields very gratifying results. My favorite superficial peeling agent for this purpose is high potency glycolic acid. However, Jessner's solution, salicylic acid, and low potency TCA are also successful alternatives. This combined tried-and-true approach to fading freckles engenders little or no downtime. By contrast, I have thus far not found laser results consistently substantiating the marketing hype that typically surrounds them nor justifying the expense. Treatment by a board certified aesthetic core physician with experience with extensive experience with all modalities is advisable.

New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Freckle Removal

There are many different ways to remove Freckles, whether it be with laser or chemical peels.  The most important thing is to remember that the most effective method depends also on skin type.  If you have extensive freckles then Fraxel may be the best method.  If there are isolated freckles then the best treatment may be the Yag or Tri-Vantage laser.  Be certain to find a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in cosmetics for the best results.

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Laser for freckles and sun spots

Hello Onna,

When considering physicians to perform laser surgery on your skin, it is very important to choose a provider with extensive experience with laser devices. I would look for offices with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon on staff. Nurses can also perform laser surgery. If you choose to have treatment with a nurse, they should be under the supervision of a competent physician who can approve your treatment plan.

There are several types of laser and light devices that can treat pigmentation. The most common treatment we use for freckling and sun damage in our office is Intense Pulsed Light, or IPL. Don't forget to wear your sunscreen everyday to prevent more freckling and prepare you for treatment. It is not advisable to receive these types of treatments when you have a tan, so keep that in mind!

Emil A. Tanghetti, MD
Sacramento Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.