Surgeon I am going to prefers needles over blunt needles. Any suggestions?

Just like the title says, this concerns me. I have gotten fillers before but got restylane under eyes and voluma in the midface injected by blunt needles. The doctor I will be going to prefers needles but is one of the, supposedly, the best injectors around. Even wrote a book on injections. Should I be concerned and will her usage of a needle cause less precision with the deep placement of voluma midface and restylane in tear troughs? I know needles tend to be favored for superficial injections.

Thanks for your question, it's great that you are being so thoughtful about your treatment. I don't think you have any cause for concern. I would view needles vs. cannulas as more of a personal preference on the part of your injector. Neither technique is definitively superior and many injectors use a combination of needles and cannulas, depending on the product, the area of the face, and the individual patient. Best of luck!

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Needles vs. Microcannulas

I wouldn't worry too much over the use of a needle vs. a microcannula. The most important thing is that you see an experienced injector. Ultimately, they will use the tools they believe will help them produce your desired results.

Landon Pryor, MD, FACS
Rockford Plastic Surgeon

Needles vs. Cannulas

I often use a combination of both needles and Microcannulas for injections. I believe that needles provide better precision  where  Microcannulas may be to flexible. The expertise of your injector is more important than the technique used to administer your treatment.

Best regards, Dr P

Needles vs. cannulas

Many of the best injectors use needles and there is no reason not to. Microcannulas do not necessarily provide any advantage at all for the patient in results or side-effects

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Filler injcetions

I prefer needles as well. I find that the blunt needles are a bit too flexible and I feel that I have less control with them.  I have treated many patients over the past 15-20 years using this technique.

Needles vs Cannulas...

Thank you for your question.  While we use both needles and microcannulas, some injectors prefer one over the other, usually due to how they were trained.  That being said, I truly believe that needles give you better precision when placing product, however they do have the potential to cause more side effects.  Due to this we take into account the location being injected and quality of the skin when deciding whether to use needles or cannulas in each specific area we are treating with a patient and often times use both techniques on the same patient, this affords us the opportunity to craft a truly individualized plan.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Sharp needle vs. blunted cannula

Great question.  Every injector has their own preference for each particular choice in different areas.  I, for example, prefer sharp needles for midface and lips, whereas I like the blunted cannulas for under eyes and nasolabial folds. Honestly, if you feel comfortable with the physician and like the results that they get - that is more important than whether they use needles or cannulas.  Best of luck.  

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Needles over Blunt Cannulas

I use both needles and blunt cannulas for injections.  However, there is agreement that needles really provide the best placement over cannulas.  Please consult a specialist and more important than the needle is their experience and skill.  Best, Dr. Green

Blunt cannulas or Needles for injectable fillers.

Hello, Thank you for your question. Blunt cannulas for under the eye fillers  have less chances of bruising and other vascular complications. There are few case reports of complications even with blunt  cannulas.Trust your physician who is an expert injector and let him take care of you.

Best Wishes. Dr. Shanthala

Needles versus blunt cannulas for filler injections

Some physicians prefer needles for injection of fillers and others prefer blunt cannulas.  In my opinion, you should be able to obtain a good result with either method.  Some physicians feel cannulas decrease the chance of bruising, so prefer this method.  My recommendation would be to find an injecting physician that you like and allow them to use which ever method of injection they feel will best work for you in their hands.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon