Am I suitable for mini tummy tuck with muscle repair? (Photos)

I have had 3 c sections and have been left with a horrible overhang of skin. I am 5ft 2 and weigh 55kgs. I know i need a tummy tuck but would prefer a mini (shorter scar/less recovery time). I think i need muscle repair aswell. Am i suitable for mini tuck and would muscle repair be able to be performed at the same time? Thanks.

Tummy Tuck

Hi Bea298,

Thank you for the pictures and questions. Based on the pictures you submitted it looks as if you would benefit from a full tummy tuck. I suggest consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area. Best of Luck!

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

I would recommend a full tummy tuck , that would give you the best results. Please consult with a board certified PS,best of luck!

Dr derby

Thank you for your question and the photos. I would recommend you  full Tummy Tuck because it will give you better final results. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Best procedure

Thank you for your question and photos. I am in agreeemnet with the other surgeons who recommend a full tummytuck. This will address the loose skin as well as the lax muscle beneath. Addressing the muscle layer will improve your core tone and perhaps even relieve low back pain. After three C-sections, this would be the best procedure for you. There are very few instances when a "mini" would be the procedure of choice. Perhaps after the first C-section, but after three, a full tummy tuck will give you back your tight, taught, flat stomach.Good Luck,

Full tummy tuck

From these pictures it seems like you have enough skin laxity for a full tummy tuck. See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in body contouring and tummy tucks for more individualized information. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them.  Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area #realself #drdeanvistnes #tummytuck 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck with umbilical float for muscle repair

It is possible to do a full muscle repair with a mini tummy tuck using the umbilical float technique, which works best when the belly button is s little bit high as it appears to be in your photos. A few important things to keep in mind:
  • Recovery from a mini tummy tuck with muscle repair is the same as for a full tummy tuck
  • Even with an umbi float, there will not be much improvement in the skin laxity in the upper abdomen
  • There are several variations to consider (see the link below)

Richard Baxter, MD

Mini vs full tummy tuck

Dear Lou,  Thanks for submitting your pictures.   From observing your pictures, you appear to have skin and muscle laxity from the chest bone to the pubic bone. You are in very good body shape, so do not make a mistake and compromise on your optimal surgery which is full tummy tuck.   I have been in practice for over 29 years and performed well over 1000 tummy tuck surgeries. Based on that experience, I can tell you that the indication for mini tummy tuck are very limited - tight and flat upper abdomen and a pooch of lower abdomen. This is very rare after child bearings. At the begining of my practice and under insistence  of patients, I performed few of them to the regret of the patients who ended up getting the full tummy tuck later on. Now a days, I will not perform mini tummy tuck on a patient with your presentation.   Full tummy tuck will give you the followings:  Flat stomach with tight and youthful skin, narrow waists, tight pubic area, improved body posture and most likely you will lose few pounds due to the muscles tightening that will reduce the amount of food that you can eat and your sense of hunger. Shopping will be fun again...  You have to realize that not all results are the same because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good and safe outcome. So do your due diligence carefully and choose wisely.   Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of tummy tucks in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with complete flat stomach, low scar and nice belly button.                     Best of luck,                                       Dr Widder

Mini tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and posting appropriate pictures. You seem to be a good candidate for a mini abdominoplasty Tummy tuck, you would need a consultation to discuss your options and be given precise recommendations. In a mini tummy tuck plication and muscle repair is performed as well. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck with liposuction.  Even a full tummy tuck can still be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line, if good technique is used.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy tuck

Like many women, you need a full tummy tuck with muscle repair. The scar is placed in the supra pubic area and will go on to fade into a fine line. The different in recuperation is a valid point but my patients do not seem to discern such appreciable pain or limitations after tummy tuck to warrant the smaller operation. Muscle repair is performed during the procedure. See a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the variations on the operation and to help you come to a decision.Best wishes,Dr Kraft