Can sudden onset of upper arm sag/creasing take over 6 mths to snap back? How long to wait before planning a brachio? (Photos)

52, Female. After 2+ mos intense upper body work, I see trimming, less creasing of my sudden onset saggy, creased triceps, from armpit to elbow (brought on by fast 10 lb weight drop/poor diet post illness). But triceps still droop; inner elbow skin sags badly. Creases look worse in pm, less in a.m. - "grooves" wrap around underside of upper arm. Is this skin trying to reposition itself to a smaller arm? Can it take over 6 mos to see more snap back? And will AHAs help sag/creped inner elbows? see progression

Arm lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. Congratulations on your commitment to your health and fitness! Based on your current results, I think that you are a great candidate for an arm lift. Of course, you will need an in-person consultation to evaluate you for this procedure. Preoperative visualization and surgical simulation with the Crisalix system may help with your decision. Any treatment plan should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.    Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation in person with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon. Good luck! 

Jon Ver Halen, MD FACS 

Harvard educated plastic surgeon

Arm skin retraction

Great job in losing weight or the arm toning work.....whichever or both you are doing your part.  Looks to me as though your skin elasticity is failing you and you will need some lifting to get the skin tighter.  I have used the most advanced equipment to try and get skin tightening and none of the methods will improve you to the point that I would be satisfied.    Please see a American Board of Plastic Surgery Plastic Surgeon for an exam and opinion.   Keep up the good work !!

Thomas W. Loeb, MD

Weight loss

In general, you'd want to wait at least 6 months to 1 year to allow the skin to retract fully. If you're not happy after this time period, then it's probably time to see a plastic surgeon for evaluation for what method would best accomplish your goals. 

Praful Ramineni, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Arms

Skin tightening can be accomplished with Smart Lipo laser and/or Vaser ultrasound liposuction avoiding long brachiaplasty scars in most cases.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to confirm you are a candidate as well as discuss your options and expectations.