I'm 2 weeks post op and still have stiffness and soreness. Should I be worried about capsular contracture?

Hi, I had my breast augmentation 2.5 weeks ago and I have been lifting my 20lb toddler here and there (in and out of crib, car seat, etc) as well as resuming my daily routine after about 10 days pot op. The soreness and stiffness haven't been getting any better and I worry about having done something to the healing process. Do I need to be worried about capsular contraction and go to a hospital (my Surgeon is out of the country)? Or is this just part of the healing process? Tx in advance!!

It is too eaarly for capsular contracture. From your description of your activities it is not surprising that you are having pain. Try to reduce upper body exertion. Call your surgeons office-they should have back up who can examine you.

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 
its esrly to talk about results. 
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel M

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

2 weeks PostOp from breast augmentation with stiffness and soreness.

Thank you for your question.  Most of your symptoms are anticipated with a breast augmentation and should steadily resolve over the next 4 weeks or so.  Swelling is likely still present accounting for your stiffness and soreness as it is too early for a capsular contracture development.  Hope this helps.

Not likely a capsular contracture

Most patients experience a little soreness and stiffness after breast augmentation surgery.  At two weeks most patients are fairly well recovered and these symptoms are going away.  It sounds like your recovery may be a little delayed by your need for activity because of your toddler.  I would try to get some help around the house for the next week and do a little less.  Massage might help also.  If the discomfort doesn't seem to be getting better, and especially if it is getting worse, you should be evaluated by your PS (if they are available), or perhaps someone else is covering there practice while they are away. Good luck.

Daniel Sherick, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Soreness may be normal

Some soreness is normal especially if you are doing a fair amount of activity. How much is normal is difficult to quantify.  Best to be seen in person.

Breast augmentation question

2.5 weeks post op is too early to develop a capsular contracture. It is not out of the question to have some soreness at this post op time. The only way to know for sure if this is normal or something more concerning is with an exam. You should discuss this with your surgeon and consider finding a local plastic surgeon who will see you.

Pain after augmentation

Everyone recovers differently and it really depends on what kind of surgery and implants were placed. Everyone has different threshholds and types of pain. If it hurts, try to avoid activities that make it worse until you feel better. If you have concerns, close follow up with your board certified plastic surgeon is key. Best of luck, MMT

Stiffness and soreness following breast augmentation

At this early stage it is normal to still have soreness and stiffness.  It is too early to develop a contracture which is scar tissue.  Most surgeons arrange coverage for their patients when they are away.  If you have any concerns you should contact his office or you can call local plastic surgeons to see if they would be willing to see you.  

Lawrence Rosenberg, MD
Lutherville Timonium Plastic Surgeon