Can I start a laser removal treatment even if my tattoo is fairly recent? (photo)

I recent got a black heart outline on my wrist. The size is less than an inch all around. I wasn't pleased with how the person outlined it and overall I just don't feel satisfied with my tattoo. I'm positive I want it removed and I wanted to know if I need to wait or if something can be done now. Thanks!

Laser Tattoo Removal -- Takes a series of treatments After Healing

It looks like your tattoo has healed and has no scabs, so it should be OK to remove. Lasers like PicoWay would be best choice. It will take several sessions to remove it. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer 

Yes, you can start right away to remove the tattoo with the right away especially with the new Pico technolgy

If there are no crusts or scabs, it is possible to start right away removing your tattoo.  We have two Pico lasers, the PicoSure and Prima Pico.  There are new techniques for tattoo removal that make is faster and safer to start right away getting rid of unwanted tattoos. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

When can I start tattoo removal?

Thank you for your question. We typically start laser tattoo removal as long as the tattoo is fully healed. I prefer to use the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths including the 1064 wavelength for black pigment. Pico lasers are the most advanced technology. 

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Small wrist fresh tattoo

It can be removed if everything is healed. The best laser is one that contains the 1064 wavelength. This is good for black tattoos and your skin type.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Tattoo Removal for Fresh Tattoo

Some doctors like to wait six weeks after a tattoo has been placed before starting laser treatment.  Usually in my office we can start treatment sooner, as long as the tattoo is essentially healed.  Make sure to see an experienced laser doctor to discuss in person. Regards,Dr.  Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

When to start Laser tattoo removal

Tattoo regret is quite common. In fact, up to 50% of people who get a tattoo regret it within 5 years! A lot of people regret it a lot sooner. The good news is that with laser we can make unwanted ink a thing of the past. At our center will start #tattooremoval as soon as the skin heals (usually within 1 -2 weeks after the tattoo). Treatments are performed on a monthly basis. Good luck, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon

Laser and Tattoo Removal

You are definitely able to remove this tattoo.  Because of its size and color it should be removed effectively with the qualified dermatologist who has the Alex TriVantage laser. Best, Dr. Green

Probably it is best to wait until it is fully healed before even considering laser!

You can consider tattoo removal once it is fully healed from the procedure but not any sooner.  Otherwise, you could risk infection and scarring.  Best of luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon