Sports bra/massage: 3 weeks post breast augmentation. (photo)

Is it harmful to wear a sports bra 24hrs everyday? Also can you overly massage your breasts after a breast augmentation? 17 days p/op.

Breast massage

Thanks for your question and the phtot.

The breasts look good...still high but that is normal after submuscular placement in the first few months.  You should consult with your Plastic Surgeon prior to wearing a sports bra.  i instruct my patients to wear the surgical bra for the first 30 days, then switch to a sports bra for the next month...no underwire bras.  Massage three times a day is usually more than adaquate, but I feel extra massaging will not harm them so massage to hearts content.

Good luck with your rapid recovery.

Dr. T

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I would discuss your aftercare instructions with your plastic surgeon because every doctor has a slightly different post operative protocol for their patients based on their technique, experience and beliefs. Wearing a sports bra will not harm your breasts, just refrain from wearing a bra with underwire for the first 6 weeks. Additionally, I recommend massaging the breasts 3 times a day for the first 3 months. I hope this helps. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Sports bra/massage

Breast swelling is usually more significant if the implants are placed submuscularly than subglandular. Breast massage is very useful to decrease the swelling. I don't recommend aggressive massage as you would not want to cause any implant malposition. Breast massage has not been proven to have any benefit in decreasing capsular contracture but some PS believe it helps to soften the capsule. The sports bra is helpful to maintain support while your healing and I do recommend some sort of support bra to my patients for the first 4-6 weeks while allowing time to heal. Hope you love your result!!

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post breast augmentation

No, it is not harmful to wear a sports bra 24 hrs a day, as long as it is not too tight. I would recommend checing with you board certified plastic surgeon regarding your breast massages and to make sure you are following all post operative instructions correctly. Good luck! 

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Is it harmful to wear a sports bra 24hrs everyday? Also can you overly massage your breasts after a breast augmentation?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, there is no problem with using a sports bra, I recommend not massaging  your breasts because the implant can move around the pocket.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Sports bra and massage 3 weeks post breast augmentation

Thank you for the question and photos. You appear to be healing well. 

It is best you ask your plastic surgeon about his or her preferred post op instructions. 

I usually recommend a support bra with no under wire for about a month. I don't advise massaging the breasts until they become soft and less tender. 

Dr. Khuthaila 

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Post Op Instructions

Both of these concerns are surgeon-specific. Your Plastic Surgeon may advise you to wear a post op bra consistently for a month or two. Some do not and some provide the bra that they want you to wear. Post op massage is also not always advised and your surgeon should tell you if and how they would like this done.

All the best

I recommend to avoid underwire bras for at least the first three months after surgery.

Given your concerns, you'll be best off seeking follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Each surgeon has there own post-op instruction. 

Best of luck

Massage and sports bra

Both of these questions are best answered by your operating plastic surgeon since they are dependent upon what type of breast augmentation and what type of breast implants were placed. Best of luck in your recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon