Is it possible to have a slightly crooked nose without a deviated septum? (photos)

If I have a dorsal hump removed, front narrowed and tip lifted will it fix the slight crookedness? I've also heard that sometime your nose goes back to how it was before due to memory. Is that likely? I was told I don't have a deviated septum. Thanks for your input!

Crooked nose without a deviated septum

Your nasal bones appear crooked. All septums have some degree of bending but only a septum that is symptomatic is a "deviated septum". You can break the nose on both sides to straighten it into the middle. Find a surgeon who has a focus on rhinoplasty.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked nose but "straight" septum

In addition to the other answers posted it's important to note that many patients are told they don't have a deviated septum but in many cases the septum was not completely examined. The uppermost, or dorsal, part is often overlooked. It can,  however, cause significant nasal deflection and give the appearance of a crooked nose. This can easily be addressed during rhinoplasty surgery. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Rhinoplasty for crooked nose repair

The crooked nose can be a result of twisted nasal bones, asymmetric upper lateral cartilages, or  twisted nasal tip cartilages. A rhinoplasty procedure can address straightening the bridge line with osteotomies, a spreader graft placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage in the midportion of the nose, and a tip rhinoplasty is required when the nasal tip cartilages are asymmetric. For more information and many examples of crooked nose repair in our practice, please see the link and the video below

Crooked Nose without Deviated Septum

If you don't have a deviated septum asymmetry of the size or position of the surrounding paired structures can mimic deviation. This can be corrected as part of your rhinoplasty procedure. Select an experienced specialist to minimize the risk of cartilage going back to how it was before the operation secondary to the memory phenomenon.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from spreader graft placement to straighten your nose. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Crooked nose

The bones or the septum or both can be crooked.  So you can have a crooked nose without a deviated septum.  Memory usually applies to cartilage in which it tends to want to bend back to its original form.