Enough skin for a tummy tuck? Alternatives to fix loose skin above belly button? (Photos)

I am 36 and have had 2 full term pregnancies, my youngest is 2. 5'2 and 107lbs. After exercising the last yr my stomach is pretty firm & flat however there is some excess skin above the naval that wrinkles & really bothers me. this lighting makes it look better than it actually is. I'm not sure I have enough loose skin for a full TT tho and I understand a mini won't help with issues above the belly button? If I'm not an ideal candidate for a full TT are there alternatives to fix the skin here?

Enough skin for a tummy tuck? Alternatives to fix loose skin above belly button?

GreetingsThank you for your photos, evaluating from your photos you do not need a Tummy tuck. Liposuction is best option for you and fitness however the best is to visit a board certified plastic surgeon for recommendation.

Tummytuck vs liposuction

Diet and exercise served you well, you look great after 2 pregnancies. While physical exam is optimal,  photos demonstrate that you are not a candidate for Tummytuck, it appears that Micro-Liposuction is a reasonable option.  This technique allows sculpting in the area above the belly button and surrounding areas. The skin should shrink down and improve the region. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

TT candidate

Thank you for your question and photographs.I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have a physical examination done so they can give you the most accurate recommendations. From the looks of you photographs, I do not think you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck, instead I think you would benefit more from SmartLipo of the abdomen/hip rolls. This would prevent you from having to have the scar associated with a tummy tuck and due to the laser used during SmartLipo, it also tightens skin too. I offer Smartlipo Triplex for patients in Pittsburgh and surrounding areas looking for a minimally invasive alternative to traditional liposuction. SmartLipo loosens then removes fat and tightens the overlying skin, reducing bulges of fat while simultaneously toning the body. It also offers tissue retraction through soft tissue coagulation, reliable, controlled energy delivery, reduced liposuction procedure time and patient downtime, less bleeding and bruising than traditional liposuction and high-definition body sculpting capabilities. Smartlipo also delivers precision and versatility with wavelengths that are ideal for smaller and larger fat deposits, tissue retraction, fibrous areas, or secondary liposuction cases.
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal exam

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you do not need a tummy tuck.  You may benefit from selective liposuction.  The best advice for you will come from an in-person evaluation.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Everyone has some folding of skin when they sit or hunch over. You do not seem to have that much loose skin and a tummy tuck may not be worth the scar for you. You would need an in person exam to assess the quality of your skin and abdominal muscles.If a tummy tuck is not an option, you can look at non-operative skin tightening like Exilis for some improvement.

Thank you for your question and series of photographs.  I think your abdomen looks excellent for having had two kids and though there is no substitute for an in-person examination I would be hesitant to place any incision on your abdomen with the current appearance of your stomach as the appearance of an incision does not outweigh the potential benefits in appearance.  Hope this helps.

Your tummy

You really need an in person exam to know how much skin you have and what the condition of the muscles are. Most women who have had children have enough skin to do a formal tummy tuck, but each person needs to be examined to  know how to obtain the best result. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy Tuck ?

Hello and thank you for your question.  After review your pictures you are better fit to undergo a upper abdominal liposuction.  I do not thing you will need a tummy tuck perhaps a mini tummy tuck depending on your specific needs.  Please make sure you fine a board-certified plastic surgeon.

You do not need a tummy tuck. Some loose skin and fat can be treated with Vaser ultrasound liposuction or Smart Lipo. Another option is Thermi Tight RF.An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to confirm you are a candidate as well as discuss your options and expectations.

Tummy tuck question

You do not have a true excess of skin. When our core is flexed everyone has some loose skin that folds over. Without this minimal amount or excess you would not be able to fully extend your core and stand up straight. I think that your abdomen looks great. If you were concerned about extra fat, liposuction may be a consideration. Other than that I would not recommend doing anything.