Skin, fat or gyno? (Photo)

I've lost a lot of weight and have been weight training too consistently since the new year. I still have this disgusting look of "puffy" nipples or "breasts", especially when my nipples are soft. When they are cold or after I workout the area around the nipples look much more normal. Is this stubborn fat that I can't get rid of or Gyno tissue? Thank you.

Doctor Answers 8

Determining If You Have Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 

About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Chest fat or breast tissue?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Great question and congratulations on the weight loss.  The only way to discern whether you have excess fat or breast tissue would be by physical examination.  Frequently, it is a combination of the two. Because there is excess skin involved, in all likelihood, a formal resection would be required. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. 

Liposuction for residual tissue after weight loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Great work, diet and exercise has paid off for you! I can't be certain by your photo,  but whether it is residual fat or male breast tissue from Gynecomastia, treatment should be the same, liposuction. You appear to be a great candidate. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The chest can be fatty or glandular. An exam might be helpful to determine this, and then a surgical plan can be discussed.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Real gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
puffy nipples even when nipples are soft are usually real The fact then when it is cold or after  workout the area around the nipples look much more normal is typical to patients who suffer from gynecomastia.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 88 reviews

Gyno and puffy nipples

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for this question.  

Its really hard to give you specific advice, given the angle of the photo and without being able to examine you.

It does sound like you have some breast tissue that is left behind after your weight loss. This is usually easily managed by removal and this can frequently be done under local anaesthesia.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A physical examination is needed for a proper diagnosis.  You may have gynecomastia and some fatty tissue that could be excised and possible liposuctioned.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

Gynecomastia or Pseudogynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Most people that are not competitive bodybuilders have a combination of both if they have lost weight and continue to have a hard puffy nipples. You would have to get a physical exam for proper diagnosis. 

Good luck

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.