Would a skin excision/lower blepharoplasty be considered to remove eyeliner tattoos?

I've had eyeliner tattoos for many years and on one side it's too low. I've had like 8 tattoo removal sessions with even the best lasers but I can't see it going away anytime soon. I just want it gone! Would a skillfully done skin excision be a good option? I don't want any obvious scars. A white line might be better than a black one.

Eyeliner tattoo removal

It is possible to surgically excise tattoos, but in this location it will be tricky. Your eyeliner looks like it is right up against the lashes. You can't excise the skin there without losing the lashes as well. This is something that I can't see really well in your picture. Consult a board certified plastic, facial plastic, or occuloplastic surgeon.

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Surgery to remove eyeliner tattoo

Skin pinch blepharoplasty can at least partially remove the eyeliner tattoo but need to be examined before final determination. There has to be enough skin there.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can tattooed eyeliner be excised?

Thank you for sharing your question. If you had loose skin, which does not appear to be the case in the posted photo, then you could have excision of the tattooed skin. You would have a minimal scar from the procedure. At this point, it seems like only laser removal will be possible. Care must be taken not to tighten the skin from the laser or the eyelid can pull downward. See a specialist with eyelid procedures. Good luck.

Removing permanent eyeliner tatoo

This is a very difficult problem. The tattoo usually extends right up to the lash line. Complete removal surgically is nearly impossible and the small amount left behind typically stretches downward and results in a tatoo/scar that looks even worse. Also, surgical excision that close to the lash line risks losing the lower lid lashes permanently. It's a bad idea.

In my opinion, your best option is laser tattoo removal and/or having a second, flesh colored tattoo that camouflages the eyeliner tattoo. 

Bradford A. Bader, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

A standard lower blepharoplasty wouldn't remove that but it may be possible. There is no way to know without an in person examination. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon near you to see what your options are. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Eyelid surgery

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photographs, you may have a nice idea and this may be possible.  It depends on your lower lid laxity.  I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Excision of eyelid tattoo

If you are certain that you have been treated with effective LASERs by qualified dermatologist, facial plastic or general plastic surgeons, then you may need excision but please be aware that you will be replacing a tattoo with a scar and may end up with permanent eyelid deformity. This is why permeant makeup is illegal in many states.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  If laser therapy has failed to offer improvement a small pinch excision of skin may be a more definite treatment option. It would be important to rule out the possibility of an ectropion, or rolling out of the lower eyelid, due to scarring from such a maneuver as you do not appear to have much lower eyelid tissue laxity.  

Removing Eyeliner Tattoo

Thank you very much for your question and photographs. From your photos, it does not appear that you have sufficient extra skin to excise the 3mm of skin necessary to remove your tattoo eyeliner. Also, your eyeliner tattoo appears to involve some of your eyelash margin itself, which would make the scar from the excision very prominent. I would recommend an in-person consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon to determine the best course of action in correcting your problem.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Removing under eye tattoo

This is something that would definitely need to be assessed in person. Your liner is really close to your lash line. Part of it may be able to be removed surgically but hard to say for sure from your photo. My best advice would be to schedule a consolation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD